Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, does anyone know how many Mk1* rifles were purchased by the Australian Queensland Police?
I've seen rack numbers up to around 250 on rifles dated 1906.
Just curious.
Thanks

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks.
Here's my 55
Mk1* 1906 Sparkbrook.
Beautiful looking wood on it.
(Haven't quite got the hang of putting photos in like you blokes do)

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm Back !!.. Was I missed ?..
The number is 300.. in two batches, one in 1907, and the other in 1908..hence the butt markings. which were done here incidently !

The project is still on the move, but getting harder to find info.. No new info for those who I have already contacted.. but if Wotter9 wants to send me all the details of his rifle..Serial No and QP No, I will add it to my list, and hopefully enlighten him in regards to its history.
Lithy.. What about the one up for sale.. any details on it at all ??

Cheers all.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Went to the auction to have a look at the Lee Speed carbine - but it turned out to be a bit a bit well used and the wrong mag and rusty to boot.
Had a look at the Q^P and noted it had excellent wood, very little use, bore seemed good, no play in the sliding bolt charger - some rust showing up in places under the grease but could clean up to be an excellent example - best of all it seemed nobody else has tried to clean it up, it is still in the condition it left the QP stores.
I resolved to keep an eye on it and when the bids stalled at 1400 I put up my card an won it - so I will let you know if my judjement was any good.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello Central,
Thanks for the info mate.
Could you email me and I can give you a few more details?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had a look at the Q^P and noted it had excellent wood, very little use, bore seemed good, no play in the sliding bolt charger - some rust showing up in places under the grease but could clean up to be an excellent example - best of all it seemed nobody else has tried to clean it up, it is still in the condition it left the QP stores.
I resolved to keep an eye on it and when the bids stalled at 1400 I put up my card an won it - so I will let you know if my judjement was any good.
Well I had a go at it to, but only as I had missed out on a couple of the earlier lots, so did anyone here get the SMLE Pat14 Mk1 ?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Q^p 277

Number is listed as 70212 - will have more information when the PTA comes through and I get around to picking it up.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
FOr everyones interest, I sent the details of my rifle to Central;
Serial number- Q1xxx
Knox form - Q/l\P over 55
Side of knox form or barrel - >l<
On left side of butt - /l\ over QG over P over 1907
On right side of butt - >l<
" " " " " - Circle with BSA Co over /l\ over Birmingham
On right side of butt socket - Crown over B.S.A G? over Sparkbrook over 1906 over Sht L.E. over Mk1*

and Central got back to me with this info;
"Your's is from the first batch that arrived here.. In 1907 it would have been issued to an officer stationed at Roma St. (I have a list of every officer who received a Mk-1* in 1907, but nothing to say just which rifle he received ..great!!)
Between then and 1914, it would have either stayed there, or been transferred to another Metro station.
In 1914 it was sent North, I assume Townsville, as it was there in the post war period.
In 1953, it was transferred to Collinsville, where it stayed until it was returned to store (1970's - 80's).
It's just a matter of plodding thru hundreds of files, picking up a reference here and there, until the final picture is revealed.
All you need now is the matching numbered Bayonet.. as well as Frog, Belt and Pouch.
Will let u know when I find more.."

Thanks Central; terrific stuff!!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Q^p 277

Well finally picked it up - lots of work to remove the hardened grease and rust combination typical of the way some Queensland rifles were stored.
The wood looks nice - the biggest dent was put in by the auction house I would say - also a small split in the handgaurd.
I will have to dissemble it I think to clean it up properly but the screws are mostly burred anyway.
Now all I needs is a Q^P 1903 bayonet

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Congrats. Rowdy!

She looks like a full sister to mine (only prettier).

As to the bayo, get in line brother;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts