Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was browsing my local gun shop recently and saw something I'd never seen before in person
- it was a .30 Carbine with a 1942 Buffalo Arms Barrel. I'm wondering how often are these encountered? Unfortunately, the gun is on layaway so I can't post pics yet.

Any information is appreciated!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Finding an M1 rifle with a Buffalo Arms is even more difficult. To date I have seen three BA marked M1 rifle barrels: rev 13 rev 19 and rev 22
So I take it even the Carbines are rather difficult to find? Also, the barrel had "Buffalo Arms" written - this one wasn't abbreviated "BA." I don't know if this makes a difference or not. Anyway, its mine now be it good, bad or indifferent. Well, its mine after I finish paying for it - ugh.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Of course, not to besmirch Buffalo Arms barrels or that carbine, but according to several books, oh like "War Baby" by Larry Ruth, Buffalo Arms barrels and Rockola barrels were the least desired barrels by the carbine makers, there were numerous problems with the barrels, problems with production making an accurate barrel necessitating barrels returned, salvaged by cutting the chamber correctly or counterboring a 1/4" inch, fixing leaking conditions at the gas block, there were many problems with the buffalo arms barrels. According to the War Baby book, Rockola barrels required restraitening regularly wherever they ended up.
I just recently bought a used blue sky marked quality hardware, it has a inland barrel, and supposedly it was inland barrels during ww2 that were most desired for such precise manufacture that they showed the most accuracy, maybe true, mine was still on target even with a 1/16" rounded muzzle, but I recrowned it anyway a quarter of inch to the chagrin of the friend I bought it from, I mean, I refuse to not recrown a "shooter" that's had its barrel markings obliterated by acid or sweat corrosion just right there and sandblasting and a worn muzzle, with a post war round bolt(as evidenced by a drain hole in the middle of the bottom of the bolt) and m2 slide and sporter stock with scope mount. The quality hardware carbines, they are the only ones to continue throughout production with the removeable spring housing, no big deal, and my first carbine made like that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.