Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took the Kansas CCW class yesterday and qualified on the shooting portion with my IJ70 9X18 Makarov. The shooting portion was easy with 5 shots one handed at 3yards, 10 shots two handed at 7 yards, and 10 shots two handed at 10 yards, all on a standard Q target. Now all I have to do is get fingerprinted by the Sheriffs office tomorrow, complete the paperwork, and mail off my check and packet to the AG's office. I do plan on carrying my Mak with an IWB Don Hume holster. Anyone have anything good or bad to say about that holster? I am including a pic of my target so you can all make fun of my crappy shooting! Different yardages, different stances, but still managed to keep all 25 shots within a 6 1/4" spread. Not too bad considering all I had to do was hit the target 21 out of 25 shots!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Congratulations!

Nothing to be made fun of there! You did fine.

Nothing wrong with your holster choice either. The only thing that would bother me is that you're using an IJ-70, and the rear sight might snag on your shirt when you draw.

How long before your permit arrives?

·
Gold Bullet member+
334 Posts
Nothing wrong with that shooting. I second getting a different sight that won't snag or come apart. Shermysan

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The permit I am told will take approximately 6-7 weeks to get back to me. So I have a bit of a wait. As far as the sights go, are there any aftermarket sights that I could install that would be less likely to snag on clothing? I am currently researching the Steyr MA1 .40cal and if I end up buying one then I will use that mainly for CCW purposes. The Mak would be relegated to truck gun status and I wont have to worry about the sights. But Im sure I will want to carry it from time to time anyways. So two questions for you guys. What sights should I get for the Mak? And does anyone have anything good or bad to say about the .40 Steyr MA1? Thanks for your input!

·
Gold Bullet member
549 Posts
I'd like to have that crappy shooting !!!! :)

regards....roger

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
That looks like some good "GET OFF ME!" :D Don't get rid of the IJ, just buy another Bulgie or EG to carry. :cool:

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm sorry. I've got to say it. Your shooting? Pitiful. Just pitiful.

At those ranges, with a Mak, you should have had Sub .0000001 inch groupings. Maybe you've had some sort of consumptive coughing lately that would account for this?

But even then...no, I'm sorry. There's just no two ways about it...you've brought shame on us, your fellow hobbyists.

Just give it up right now. You're not suited to the Mak. Just put your Maks up for sale right now. Go ahead. Do it.

;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nietzsche, I apologize for bringing shame upon all fellow Mak enthusiasts! I shall try to rectify my error! But I must refuse to get rid of my Mak, I love it too much!

bartsitarski, thanks for the link, but it says that those sights have been discontinued and are no longer being sold except to fill backorders. Anyone know of any other dealer of replacement sights for the Mak?

Also, noone seems to have any opinion on the Steyr MA1 .40cal. Surely, someone must have something to say about it either way, good or bad. After todays purchase of a CZ82, the Steyr will most likely be my next purchase.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Nietzsche, I apologize for bringing shame upon all fellow Mak enthusiasts! I shall try to rectify my error! But I must refuse to get rid of my Mak, I love it too much!
Ah well...you've shown loyalty and devotion to the Mak. That makes up for one day of bad accuracy.

BUT GET THAT COUGH LOOKED AT! YA HEAR?:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Regarding the holster...

The Don Hume IWB works fine for me in SOB and Appendix carry – but the Don Hume JIT even works better. It’s an OWB, more of a high ride holster which is lightweight and very comfortable to wear. I live down here in Florida, therefore I wear T-shirts most of the time. The Don Hume JIT underneath a Tee is doing the job just fine. Since you know that there is a gun you might be afraid that a light printing could be seen, but most likely other people won’t notice anything – at least my wife did not. Both holsters are a good choice.

·
Registered
34 Posts
finnerandr,

Congrats on getting your carry permit. It may feel a bit odd at first, I know that I felt uncomfortable carrying for months after I got my permit. Eventually though, you will gain confidence that your gun won't fall out of its holster or be accidentally seen. Months later, I put my mak in my holster in the morning just like putting my wallet in my pocket. No worries, no problem, just a matter of routine.

About the Steyr MA1 though - listen, I was shopping for a pistol recently for home defense (ended up with a CZ P-01 9mm, but that's another story). I checked out one of these steyr pistols, interested by its unique design. Long story short, the sights are really... hmm futuristic. I won't say bad, they might be great, but they're certainly different. The main thing though, is the incredibly light trigger pull. I mean, SUPER SUPER light. I personally think it's a little dangerous to have a trigger pull that light, because when panic body response kicks in, folks tend to unconsciously move their finger to the trigger even when they don't mean to (see Massad Ayoob's book "In the Gravest Extreme"). I think there's a real chance of some unintentional discharges with the Steyr MA1.

Just one man's opinion.

Carry safe, and best regards,

c. thomas

·
Registered
399 Posts
After todays purchase of a CZ82,
The CZ-82 gets a mention in the Oct. American Rifleman that just arrived, along with its vendor, Aim Surplus. I am very pleased w/ my CZ-82.

·
Registered
840 Posts
it says that those sights have been discontinued and are no longer being sold except to fill backorders.
I wanted to qualify with a Mak, but we had to have "range safe" ammo, and I couldn't find anything for the Mak. Ended up using a .357 revolver. (Only revolver guy in the class)

You're not missing anything on those replacement sights, I bought them and ended up wishing I hadn't. The gun shot real low after installation, I ended up having to shim the crap out of them to get the elevation right. Looked bad, huge gap under the sight. Since I was one of the lucky ones who broke the original sight taking it off, I was SOL. Ended up replacing the entire slide.

If you haven't fired it yet, you're going to love that CZ82.. :) If you have, you already know it...

Oh yeah, when you start carrying it'll feel a little weird at first. I got used to it by carrying around the house. Now I feel naked without it, so I never leave the house without being armed. In fact, it's never more than a short reach from me at anytime if I'm not actually wearing it, unless I'm in the Criminal Protection Zone I work in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts