Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this holster for an Astra 400 pistol I have coming. I actually have two Astra pistols on the way, one is Republican-marked and the other Nationalist-marked. I would like to learn more about the provenance of this holster, particularly when it was made and by whom, and to whom were holsters of this style issued. Curiously, I find no stampings, ink or otherwise, to indicate a maker or date of manufacture. Is this peculiar to the Spanish holsters or just holsters of this one's time period?

Thanks for the education.

Tim

P.S. - I photographed this one with the Russian flag as a backdrop since I will likely pair this holster with my R.E.-marked 1937 Astra 400 pistol. Unless, of course, someone tells me this was the style of holster used by the Nationalist forces during the Spanish Civil war.

·
Gold Bullet member
476 Posts
That's a typical post war holster for the Astra 400. It was issued for the Army, and nowadays impossible to determine the maker.

This holster was issued with two styles of bandoleer.

It would be incorrect for your RE pistol. Holsters (belts and straps) used during, and before Civil War, were brown color, usually with mag pocket on the flap, horizontal.

Hope this helps.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a typical post war holster for the Astra 400. It was issued for the Army, and nowadays impossible to determine the maker.

This holster was issued with two styles of bandoleer.

It would be incorrect for your RE pistol. Holsters (belts and straps) used during, and before Civil War, were brown color, usually with mag pocket on the flap, horizontal.

Hope this helps.
This information does help, thanks. What would be even more helpful would be photographs of the color and style of holster used before, during and immediately after the Spanish Civil war. Would you happen to have such photos or know of a good reference book that has pictures?

Thanks for the education.

Tim

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Holsters (belts and straps) used during, and before Civil War, were brown color, usually with mag pocket on the flap, horizontal.

Hope this helps.
Actually, I have just such a holster (though it appears it was subsequently dyed black) that I will post pictures of shortly.

Tim

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
23,298 Posts
It seems a lot of leather gear was dyed black after the SCW to conform to the Nationalist standards. I have seen holsters that were evidently brown to begin with that were later dyed, and a lot of M1916 Mauser slings that were originally brown and later dyed black.

·
Gold Bullet member
476 Posts
You're absolutely right Bob, that's the reason for being almost impossible to find gear in original brown color. I'm looking for an A400 holster, brown color with mag pocket horizontal on flap, complete with bandoleer for years, without any success. It's even hard to find a dyed one here.

If anyone has such a holster and have no use for it, can send an email :rolleyes:.

The post civil war one in the pictures, can still be found in almost new condition.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts