Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Went to the Washington Arms Collectors show in Puyallup WA today. Very few Japanese items. Another Japanese collector made off with an inert Knee Mortar round plus some IJA field glasses. Decent Series 25 Type 99 but with mutilated slots on the recoil bolt. One nice Type 38 facsimile trainer for $135. One Type 97 Sniper that has been there for the past few shows. Today the price on it appeared to have inched up to close to two grand. Several nice Shin-gunto and NCO swords on display but none for sale. Two of the experimental double-stack magazine Type 14's were there on display - the very ones that are pictured in the latest Derby book.

OTJ - (Other Than Japanese) there was a profusion of Springfields - 03's and 03A3's in nice shape as well as two Springfield M2 .22 gallery rifles. Nice display of Trapdoors and Krags. A few Italian Carcani - mainly 7.35mm Finn-marked M38 Short Rifles, a M1904 Portuguese Vergueiro converted in 1936 to 8mm from 6.5X58mm Portuguese, an original Polish Radom-built Mauser, a Type 97 'Chaing Kai Shek' Mauser, a Dutch M1895 KNIL police carbine, and two Italian M1889 Bodeo revolvers for too much money. The show in a nut-shell filtered through my own collecting areas of interest.

Best,
Gunnar

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Good report...What sort of price are those KNIL m-95s bringing these days? Was it still a 6.5x53R or had it been rechambered for .303 ? Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Good report...What sort of price are those KNIL m-95s bringing these days? Was it still a 6.5x53R or had it been rechambered for .303 ? Thanks, Dave
Dave,
The KNIL carbine was in original 6.5X53R and complete with brass unit plate in butt-stock. No post-war Indonesian stock brands either which is rare for those. Would have bought it but I don't have $500 to burn at the moment. Even so, it amazes me how comparably cheap Dutch stuff is, especially the Mannlichers, given the great variation and collectibility of the carbines as well as the miniscule numbers that were produced.

Best,
Gunnar

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
A T-97 sniper at two grands seems to be awfully reasonable to not be snapped up, but is the piece missing something ? like no scope ?

·
Platinum Bullet member
18,989 Posts
Two of the experimental double-stack magazine Type 14's were there on display - the very ones that are pictured in the latest Derby book.
Best,
Gunnar
Must be the Bob Hogan collection. Now that is something I would like to see!

·
Banned
277 Posts
Dave,
The KNIL carbine was in original 6.5X53R and complete with brass unit plate in butt-stock. No post-war Indonesian stock brands either which is rare for those. Would have bought it but I don't have $500 to burn at the moment. Even so, it amazes me how comparably cheap Dutch stuff is, especially the Mannlichers, given the great variation and collectibility of the carbines as well as the miniscule numbers that were produced.

Best,
Gunnar
Kind of sorry I couldn't make it. Got overtaken by events and Seafair ect. I still would love to find out what the Dutch colonial weapons maint. shops were doing under Japanese occupation. Maybe the Hemburg conversion to 7.7 rimmed? Dutch Vickers Lugers relined to 8 Nambu? Hummmmm? The mind wanders. Doug

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Now quit telling everyone how wonderful they are,it'll drive the price up,LOL..Ive been buying them every chance I get ,since the first one I bought several years back,beautiful guns and they shoot so sweet (if you have the patience to build the ammo) ,Sounds like that was the one Ive been looking for, (tho I wouldnt have had $500 to spend either these days) ..I need a really nice KNIL example carbine,as well as a long dutch rifle in 6.5x53R .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts