Gunboards Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
On a custom sword if you insist on using a NCO scabbard, the smith will either open up the throat of the scabbard, or make the blade thinner, so it can go through the throat with the Habaki on. That's called custom job. What they don't do is to forgo the Habaki. That's a hack job. The Habaki is an important part of the Japanese sword. But outsiders didn't know that. It seems like a useless piece of metal. Who cares? But that's where the outsiders got wrong.

The above Yoshitsugu has a wooden Type 98 scabbard. Try fit that blade to a NCO scabbard! It will have to lose the Habaki like the other swords.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi, I’m the seller of this sword. While I respect everyone’s right to have an opinion, and I generally do not mind people discussing my swords, even if during a live ongoing auction like this one, so long as it is done factually and evidence based - I do take issue with two things from this thread:

·
Registered
95 Posts
1. There is a lot of seller abuse. Specifically, these comments:

-Probably say that it was “arsenal refinished” during the war to cover his tracks.

-I have seen this dealer on Fleabay many times and think this guy plays fast and loose and knows what is going on all too well but is looking for a winner to bite.....

-This seller likes to WORK on swords.

-His description is filled with bogus stuff like "paratrooper gunto"

These comments are inaccurate and do not represent this sword, the swords I sell, nor myself. If you have factual evidence otherwise and not your BS opinion, please present it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you would like an up to date version of the debate on this sword, I recommend checking this thread out on the Nihonto Message Board here. This thread contains a lot of diverse opinions and while it started off similar to this with negative insinuation of seller intent, it has evolved to a more reasoned understanding of the sword for all involved. I hope you will take a look with an open mind and add it to your own knowledge. Please reach out if you have any questions, happy to help. Thanks for your consideration. Matt, [email protected]

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
The Japanese swords can be mounted and remounted with different fitting parts. It doesn't mean you have a previously unknown model.

If I put a Colt slide on a Remington Rand frame with a Wilson Combat barrel, I have a parts gun. The same is with that Japanese sword.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I don't know where or why the paratrooper reference was coming from. Did paratrooper prefer the NCO cast handle and scabbard in general? Got rid of the Habaki to reduce weight?

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
"3. I 'acquired' the term 'paratrooper gunto' from my work on the Plimpton collection. I have seen three other variations of this type of sword before - two in other's collections and then the one I handled from Plimpton. The Plimpton sword was a Yoshichika and it only had the lower mekugi-ana. The blade was in a NCO tsuka but with a Type 98 saya (see attached photos below). Plimpton suggested these types of swords belonged to paratroopers. The Plimpton sword does have a little different configuration, in addition to the saya and lack of a second mekugi-ana, it also had a unique fuchi with spring clip and the blade had a habaki. Of the other two variations I saw, one did not have a habaki and the other did. I expect these NCO-hybrid swords are an area where there may be few examples and little data. Given Plimpton's experience, I anchored to his definition, understanding that the sword I am offering is a little different and late-war (check the date of the Masatsugu). Also, the saya on mine is not numbered so clearly the NCO saya was not previously housing a standard NCO arsenal blade. "

To save your time, I copied your reply from the link. It basically says an experienced collector said it's a paratrooper's sword.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If I put a Colt slide on a Remington Rand frame with a Wilson Combat barrel, I have a parts gun. The same is with that Japanese sword.
That's incorrect. These are Japanese swords not guns. If I have a Japanese sword from 1600 and I put a different tsuba on it and a different tsuka on it, I don't have a 'parts' Japanese sword, I have an original and old Japanese sword. That's how it's been done for centuries. If I have a gun and I reblue it, I have a shooter at best, not a collectible. If I have a Japanese sword that's rusted and nicked and I restore it with a polish, I have a more valuable Japanese sword that's in proper condition. Makes no sense to compare guns with Japanese swords, they have no interrelation with each other besides being weapons.

For this sword, I understand why you think it's a parts sword. Any gun expert would. But it's not a parts sword, no Westerner messed with this thing to make it the way it is. It is the way it is because a knowledgeable Japanese maker put it together this way when it was made in the 1940's. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
The Japanese swords can be mounted and remounted. But no Habaki is a tell-tale sign of parts sword. A Japanese sword won't leave the factory or a shop without a Habaki. Unless it's in a shirasaya. What do you think the Habaki for? A piece of decoration that can be removed to save weight?

·
Administrator
3,171 Posts
I am a novice and stupidly sold the nice NCO sword I had, and a original Chinee made one. At some point I will look for another and it will be from a member here or be authenticated by at least folks telling me its not a reproduction.

·
Administrator
3,171 Posts
2. You are commenting on a live ongoing auction that is up for sale here. To my knowledge this goes against this forum’s rules here (specifically #6). I will request to the mods to delete this thread. It will be their decision, and I am new to this forum so I do not know yet how things work here, but I will also request that once the sale has concluded, the item can be discussed as much as requested. I may also participate too as I am also always learning something new.
he is correct, this is a LIVE auction (on my forum, its allowed), and if you desire this to be deleted, I will do so - send me a PM.

Ed
Admin

·
Registered
95 Posts
What do you think the Habaki for? A piece of decoration that can be removed to save weight?
There is no need to be insulting or sarcastic. I am not ignorant of swords. You can clearly see I am handling many Japanese swords for many years from my listings. I am at shows, you can come find me at SOS, or wherever. I'm also not hiding out on a gun forum to talk about Japanese swords...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
95 Posts
But no Habaki is a tell-tale sign of parts sword. A Japanese sword won't leave the factory or a shop without a Habaki. Unless it's in a shirasaya.
This too is short-sighted and incorrect. How can you explain Japanese naval dirks or parade sabers from WWII? Even yourself has to apply condition to your own statement with 'unless it's in a shirasaya'. Also, how do you explain Meiji Japanese export swords, many of those had no habaki. I agree habaki is standard fitting for buke-zukuri koshirae, but there are exceptions.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
When the Allies captured German arsenals like Mauser and Walther, many spare parts were available. Someone could assemble complete guns from the spare parts with strange features. The same thing must have happened in occupied Japan.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
View attachment 3992465
You very well may be right. No way to know, really. Enjoying the discussion though. I think your last post would account for the lack of habaki, though. If 95 fittings were all this shop had, and knowing the officer habaki would not fit into the 95 saya ..... then don't use the habaki, right?! Additionally, by not using the habaki, this would make the nakago extend enough to put the second ana.
I also find it hard to believe, not impossible but hard, that this post-war faker happened upon 2 Masatsugu - made in the same month/year - for his fakery. How many Masatsugu have you come across lately?

Now on your side of the coin, after looking at my files on the Yoshitsugu, it does have a habaki and is mounted in a wooden saya. Not hard to explain - the Yoshitsugu was fitted by another shop, another location.
View attachment 3992464
This sword is most certainly not a NCO sword. If I could lay my hands on a spare cast handle, I would try to fit it to an otherwise standard Type 98 sword for added strength in the handle. Personally I found the cast handle is a little too short for my liking.

21 - 40 of 147 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.