Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I realize I'll probably be burned in effigy for bringing this up, BUT...
I really, really want to refinish the metalwork on my Ishy 2A1. I was initially thinking about sending it out to a professional for Cerakote, but that may be a bit costly. Another option might be to use Lauer Duracoat (flat black, I'm thinking). Here's what she looks like now. A lot of the "paint" sloughed off of the bolt after I soaked it in Hoppes gun cleaner.

Sorry, my iPad isn't playing nice. I'll post some pics in a minute.

Any (hopefully constructive) thoughts on refinishing?

I dont plan on selling her and therfore maintaining any semblence of being a "collectable" isnt a big issue for me. I just want her look a bit "cleaner" and bring her back to her former glory.

·
Registered
13,911 Posts
This isn't a Crimean War Russian or even a .303 Lee-Enfield with paint preservative on the barrels!

The 2A's and 2A1's were NEVER issued painted. The 'black paint' was put on these rifles for long term storage ONLY and there is ABSOLUTELY NO shame, or loss of originality, by removing it.

Usually you will find a very nice, uniform, greenish-grey Parkerizing beneath it. I did.

Carburetor cleaner, some old toothbrushes, and a few old T-shirts is all you need to clean that puppy up.

·
Registered
520 Posts
[The 2A's and 2A1's were NEVER issued painted. The 'black paint' was put on these rifles for long term storage ONLY and there is ABSOLUTELY NO shame, or loss of originality, by removing it.

I'm with 4th Gordons on this one. Yes, the rifles were issued with a black enamel finish. They may not have left the factory with it but they sure as shootin' got a coat of paint at some stage of service issue. That's a certainty.

But in answer to your question, personally, I'd get the paint stripped then have the gun lightly beadblasted and reparkerized the original grey green color. Not too expensive either. I refinished a 2A1 a year ago. Did the paint stripping and bead blasting myself then off to the gunsmith. He parked all the metal on my rifle for 65 yankee dollars. Looks great!

The only way to fly in my book....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.