Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to purchase a PU scope mount from an eastern European seller on eBay. When I initiated the "buy it now" option I received a message saying that it was a restricted item. Any suggestions on how I can proceed with the purchase? Is the export license difficult to get?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
48,428 Posts
message from ebay?

if so, they have a bunch of ITAR mumbo jumbo attached to most rifle/pistol parts, including scopes, that will prohibit import/export

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
message from ebay?

if so, they have a bunch of ITAR mumbo jumbo attached to most rifle/pistol parts, including scopes, that will prohibit import/export
I sometimes get this ITAR message on Ebay UK if the item is listed on Ebay.com or the seller is registered on Ebay.com, usually if the price is in US dollars.......

·
Platinum Bullet Member
48,428 Posts
I sometimes get this ITAR message on Ebay UK if the item is listed on Ebay.com or the seller is registered on Ebay.com, usually if the price is in US dollars.......

it's a US shipping regulation, I get it when I post certian parts and just about any scope, (but not all, )

·
Platinum Bullet Member
48,428 Posts
Thinking about it, it does seem to come up most often with listings for scopes......

gov't is worried someone will sell a foreign national or supply a liberation army somehwere with scopes etc,

probably has a place with international corporations etc etc , but wonder what kind of traffic goes thru ebay,

meanwhile, it has been said to ship a scope, and list it, as a telescope,

however, with ebay's international shipping hubs, lots still get caught, and confiscated,

so if you do buy off ebay internationally, contact the seller and ship off ebay

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,609 Posts
That's a new one on me. I've ordered several PU related items (scopes, mounts, bases, etc.) from Russia on ebay with no problem whatsoever.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The export or import of "Optics" is restricted unless you have the appropriate license. This is an ITAR regulation. The word "Optics" takes anything in with a lens. And yes US Customs gets to decide on the definition not you.

I have been down this road with them.

If you claim it as a telescope and it is not, you do not want to face the charges of falsifying a Government document. Yes you may be able to slip one or more by, but when you get caught, have fun.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
The export or import of "Optics" is restricted unless you have the appropriate license. .
Oh please! Everybody buys them on ebay from either Russia or Ukraine. Never heard that someone had any issues
It's one of those things that officially exists on the paper but in reality doesn't really have any weight and no one really cares and enforces it.
Russian customs however is a whole different story in general they are really anal about everything gun related. They'll easily seize and confiscate wooden stock and label it as restricted item.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Looking to purchase a PU scope mount from an eastern European seller on eBay. When I initiated the "buy it now" option I received a message saying that it was a restricted item. Any suggestions on how I can proceed with the purchase? Is the export license difficult to get?
Yeah it comes up sometimes. Just disregard it and proceed with purchase

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This was a PU mount not even a scope! When I clicked the buy iy now a window opened with the restricted import message. Skipped that and went to p[ay for it first with my CC and then with Pay Pal. The credit card was rejected outright and the PP went into a review cycle eventually coming back to me with a voided purchase.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interesting turn of events. I re-ordered with a different CC and the sale went thru with no questions! Go figure!!!

·
Platinum Bullet Member
48,428 Posts
well that just shows how consistent ebay is,

I noticed a few years ago if I listed a part in the rifle part section, it would sometimes pop up as military or itar,
and a similar part in the vintage parts section would not,

never could get an answer why

1 - 15 of 15 Posts