Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally finished up my pulled bullet handloading project this spring. Interestingly enough the best I could do with the .311" steel core 147 grain silver tip pulled bullets I got from Widners last year was 3.5" groups. These best groups were with RL-15 powder. This is on par with the better milsurp ammo I have tried over the last couple of years. Not all that bad but not close to the 1.5" I get with premium new production bullets. It was still a lot of fun to work on though and I plan on shooting up the rest of the pulled slugs just doing some long range plinking as I have only tried them at 100 yds so far. I still have about 300 of them to burn up out of the original 500 I bought. The PSL is still one of my fovorite toys in the gun box.

·
Banned
7,240 Posts
How close were the pulled projectiles to each other in weight?
Did you test any of the pulled powder in your loads?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great question chasdev, got me to thinking and looking. No I didnt weigh the bullets as I loaded them. They were purchased from Widners in bulk already pulled so no powder or cases included. What I did after reading your question was to make a compairison between the Hornady .312" 150 grain PSP that give me the best groups (1.5") and the pulled bullets. The pulled bullets had a max spread of 2.5 grains in weight with an average weight of 146.9 grains. The Hornadys had a max spread of 0.3 grains in weight with an average weight of 150 grains. Guess its no big surprise the Hornady bullets are almost twice as accurate as the milsurp pulled. On the other hand the pulled milsurps cost 8 cents each where the Hornadys were 23 cents each. So, really each is a good deal in its own way. Just depends on what you are looking to do. For plinking and just banging steel the milsurps are a great deal over what I would say are a good choice for hunting in the Hornadys. As long as I just load out of the box with out weighing first. I plan on testing my best milsurp load again with bullets weighed with in .3 grains of each other and see what happens. Should be interesting.

·
Banned
7,240 Posts
I'm lucky, my eyesight is shot so I don't have to be concerned with tight groups anymore...I'm a commited plinker now.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its all just for fun and an excuse for trips to the range to shoot. That and the challange to find out what you can do with a stock rifle like the PSL by playing with the ammo. Thats why I have never tried mods to the trigger or rifle. I have the same eye issue too, and why I wont bother with seeing how well it shoots with the irons. Just cant seem to focus on them too well anymore. That nifty little 4X offset scope makes the PSL more fun to play with than my other AK platform milsurp builds.

·
Banned
7,240 Posts
Yeah, the four power for me is like open sights with 20/20 vision...that's why I bought the 8x scope..

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Ya'all just wait. You're gonna have to have an 8x42D, something in an IR scope, then you're gonna just HAVE to get a 1pn34 for those moonlit nights with all those coyotes and targets out there. haha! ;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya'all just wait. You're gonna have to have an 8x42D, something in an IR scope, then you're gonna just HAVE to get a 1pn34 for those moonlit nights with all those coyotes and targets out there. haha! ;)
TW1Kell your gonna hafta knock that off, I am in enough trouble with the SO as it is! Hummm, how do ya'all spell the name of that Ruskie scope web site?

·
Banned
7,240 Posts
That's KALINKA...abandon all hope...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts