Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a 1943 PU sniper and the scope had "jumppy" reticule. When I turned the windage adjustment, the reticule jumped up or down about 3 moa.....
I replaced the 2 leather gaskets and, the problem remained. So it's a play in the mechanism, the slides that travel in the reticule.
I studied the schematics and the goods tuto on the site and I had an idea to try.

I disassemble the scope today. It was not too hard with all the good infos I found here.
I had an idea to take up the slack in the reticule. I put a piece of surgical tubing on the opposite side of the turrets.
(UPDATE: I used 5mm OD tubing and filled the center hole with an appropriate size elastic piece to add more ''spring'').
It act like a spring in the modern scope. Always pushing the reticule against the adjustments turrets taking out any gap.
Nothing to lose to try.
It worked perfectly! Now everything is always even and tight.
Also, I when I make an adjustment, I always stop the knob while unscrewing. This way, the reticule push against the rubber spring and it's more regular this way.
Just want to share my experience to help others.
Thanks
Mat
Hand Green Camera lens Finger Lens
Calipers Pneumatic tool Tool Drill Power tool
Rectangle Font Parallel Engineering Technical drawing
Font Line Engineering Parallel Auto part

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
My friend, this maybe genius and cheap solution to extremely annoying problem. I have one scope which may use this fix! Now, is this solution holding up against recoil from 7.62x54r?
Matt, is this standard size for that medical tubing (easy to buy it)?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought it on eBay a while ago. It's 5mm but, I think 7mm should be better. I guess anything springy should work.
I put a drop of super glue to hold the tube in place but, as the side of the reticule is H shape , the tubing can't go anywhere for sure.

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,190 Posts
OK, now my interest has been piqued, however there is another step to get access to the reticle I believe, and that is what has me pausing. Removing the lense from my pu scopes does not reveal the reticle. So, in turn now I am hesitant to venture further. Any guidance?

·
Premium Member
2,593 Posts
The simple fix is the most brilliant....great idea... I have one with the same issue.
OK, now my interest has been piqued, however there is another step to get access to the reticle I believe, and that is what has me pausing. Removing the lense from my pu scopes does not reveal the reticle. So, in turn now I am hesitant to venture further. Any guidance?
That lens section screws out when you remove the very tiny set screw on the outside of the tube. That is the focus lens and you can mark it or count the rotations when you remove it. I've often adjusted that lens unit to get perfect clarity.
You can adjust it, put the eyepiece on and and fine tune without any issues.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I just unscrew the back lense housing.
After, take a caliper to mesure where exactly to replace the center lense before to unscrew it. I used a eedle nose plier for that. Go slowly so you don't scratch the lenses.
After that, some scope have an other screwed ring #10 on the scope drawing. Mine have one.(Unscrew the side tinny screw before) . I had to make a tool from a piece of steel.
After that, you have access to the reticule, you disassemble the 2 turrets and take the reticule out.
Take really care not to touch the reticule a post!!!
To replace the reticule in place, I used a dowel with electrical tape that goes at the end of the reticule to hold it while replacing the turrets screws.
It was the first time for me to disassemble a Pu scope. I cleaned the lenses at the same time and it took me about 2h in total, including the tools I had to build.
Fun little project.

I left all the original grease in place on the reticule slides. And put a little bit of silicone dielectrical grease on the lenses threads.

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,190 Posts
Have to ponder it. I am not sure at my age this is for me. Maybe a fun little project for me would be to get a money order and send it to Raspootyn. I have never been able to get good focus with the magnifier either and he could probably fix that up also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.