Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
picked this one up recently from Group West a 1944 Izhevsk with a 1940 Progress scope and a war time stock. Can you tell me more about it? Some of the auction pics and some of mine.

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,881 Posts
'43 or early '44 stock. Wouldn't be surprised if it's on its third scope judging from the pic of the shank. The lens caps and stock finish look to be in very good condition which are plusses, as is the discrete Group West import mark. How is the bore?

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
The scope was originally an SVT-40 scope, made at Progress while the Progress factory was still at Leningrad. It was moved the next year just before the terrible blockade.

It was probably refurbed to a PU configuration by the addition of a PU turret scale -look for a small "CB" lettering on the elevation turret, meaning a PU turret swap.

This scope likely had a postwar refurb -look for the small box stamp with an "X" or slash.
(The Progress logo is a lens, not a moon as some people think.)

·
Silver Bullet member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It does have an X in a box with an M next to it but does not have the CB on the turret, I believe I saw a pick of a side by side comparison somewhere and it looks like it is still calibrated for an SVT,

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
Shouldn't make much difference out to 350 yards or so.

I haven't seen real tests of bullet velocity in an SVT and a Mosin 91/30 side by side, but the Mosin in theory should shoot a bit flatter than the SVT as the SVT is gas operated, resulting in slightly lower muzzle velocity for the same ammo.

My guess, a guess only, is that the uncorrected SVT scope used on a Mosin will throw the bullets slightly higher at range than a PU scope.

Anyone have real fps data on SVT muzzle velocity vs. Mosin, from real current data?

(I am told some SVT scope turrets were changed to PUs but didn't have the CB, so maybe you have one of those -compare spacing with a known PU.)

It does have an X in a box with an M next to it but does not have the CB on the turret, I believe I saw a pick of a side by side comparison somewhere and it looks like it is still calibrated for an SVT,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts