Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought one of the RTI Tula PU snipers when they were on sale for $550 (plus $17 shipping). It just got here.

Here are some pics. It is obviously a refurb, but a lot of the small parts are Tula stamped. Bore is mirror bright. It come with the leather lens caps. I, and my wife, love the DARK red color on the stock, which I believe is a sanded Izhevsk stock, also it has no rear band notches. One small repair by the rear right bolt handle area, no other obvious splices or repairs. Half-liner front and rear.

Serials match, the butt-plate has been scrubbed, the magazine has an old line-out. I can't tell what arsenal the magazine body is from. The trigger is a bit odd, it looks like somebody shaped it, it has a center rib and tapers to the sides. The trigger feels almost like a two-stage, and it is super crisp and nice.

I'm extremely happy with it. I wouldn't trade it for a million bucks... Well maybe a million, but no less. (That's a joke by the way, this is not for sale). I have not cleaned it or anything, just took the pics and putting them up. Discovery will soon ensue. Without further adieu.

Tula hammer.

Izhevsk???

The base is Tula.

The scope upper mount looks to be Izhevsk.

Early pattern leaf.

Odd trigger shape.

So what do you think? Please feel free to add any comments observations. I'm pretty new to these. Also, thanks Ratnik for the scope cover. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
299 Posts
I also got in on the $550 deal and it showed up today. The things I've noticed are; the return address on the shipping label say IO INC, not Royal Tiger. Mine also has a really dark handguard, almost like SKS BBQ paint and you can tell it was put on with the rifle assembled because the top halves of the barrel bands are also "painted". Mine has the same funky trigger like yours. I like the fabric pieces they put under the lens caps, a lot better than the wax paper. Weird thing about the buttplate is its worn to bare metal at the bend point as if it had been sitting in a rack. Mine didn't come with the little white book like the AIM/PW Arms ones. The bore on mine is just okay, not bad but nothing to say wow about, maybe even a little rounded on the edges of the rifling.

·
Gold Bullet member
12,088 Posts
You received a very nice example at a great price. Congrats! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the fabric pieces they put under the lens caps, a lot better than the wax paper. Mine didn't come with the little white book like the AIM/PW Arms ones. The bore on mine is just okay, not bad but nothing to say wow about, maybe even a little rounded on the edges of the rifling.
Mine has the BBQ paint a little covering where there was wear on the butt-plate, also no paper pamphlet like yours. The fabric pieces on my scope have some substance on them that has turned to a gummy mess on the scope body. I prefer the wax-paper. Small price to pay for preservation so whatever works. Also it did not seem to be packed very well with lots of free play in the box. Kudos to Fedex for not destroying the rifle!

You received a very nice example at a great price. Congrats! :thumbsup:
Thanks, I'm really happy with this one.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Instead of starting another Royal Tiger thread, here's a couple pics of mine. I haven't done anything with it yet except unpack it. If Tulas weren't supposed to have serial numbers on the barrel, why does mine look scrubbed?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Nice rifle Gary.
When are you gonna get her sighted in?
Honey Island should be open again as the Pearl is again within its banks.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maxpower, that's a nice one. You've also got a lucky serial number! Looks like my rifle's cousin. The shank does look scrubbed.

Nice rifle Gary.
When are you gonna get her sighted in?
Honey Island should be open again as the Pearl is again within its banks.
Thanks. I need to go out to the range. I haven't been in a looooong time. I'll probably go to Southern Shooting Center since they go out to 300 yards. When I go I'll get some pics.

·
Gold Bullet Member
92 Posts
I'm new to the forum and am tremendously grateful that it exists.

I received a 1943 Tula from Royal Tiger today. It was all matching numbers, good bore and scope. However, the bolt has the Izhevsk triangle/arrow marks on it (with a matching serial). It is a beautiful rifle and one of the only dealers that still has Tula at a reasonable price. I've attached some photos from the scope. It has no rebuilt mark visible but I have not checked under the mount.

Here is my question - the scope is a Progress with no date - Serial No A-96104. Is this a correct 43 scope? I can't fine any serial number range reference for the undated scopes.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,898 Posts
I'm new to the forum and am tremendously grateful that it exists.

I received a 1943 Tula from Royal Tiger today. It was all matching numbers, good bore and scope. However, the bolt has the Izhevsk triangle/arrow marks on it (with a matching serial). It is a beautiful rifle and one of the only dealers that still has Tula at a reasonable price. I've attached some photos from the scope. It has no rebuilt mark visible but I have not checked under the mount.

Here is my question - the scope is a Progress with no date - Serial No A-96104. Is this a correct 43 scope? I can't fine any serial number range reference for the undated scopes.
View attachment 799588 View attachment 799589 View attachment 799590 View attachment 799591

Your scope is correct for your rifle since, upon refurb, scopes were often also refurbed and whatever scope was available regardless of year was reinstalled.

That said, your scope was probably originally made in late 43. How late or early your rifle was made in 43 is much harder to determine.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Here is the tula RTI sniper that my father in law got a few days ago. I talked him into getting the 550 tula from RTI rather than an izhevsk from AIM for about the same price (just extra for shipping). This one has two crossed out serials on the barrel shank and one of them matches the scope...which is weird. Everything else looks normal to me just a big mix of parts as the stock is izhevsk and bolt has izhevsk parts too. I think the magplate is original.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,898 Posts
These are not original rifles. They are refurbed rifles and normally have a mix of parts. Nothing weird about more than one scope number on the barrel shank. One matching the current scope is a good thing.

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,881 Posts
Here is the tula RTI sniper that my father in law got a few days ago. . .

. . . Everything else looks normal to me just a big mix of parts as the stock is izhevsk and bolt has izhevsk parts too. I think the magplate is original.
I think you're right about that being the original floorplate-'44 Tulas had stamped ones. Bolt body looks like it might be original too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts