Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately my original scope gave up on me, but I was lucky enough to get replacement from Raspootyn.
I re - zeroed my rifle quickly with new scope, I followed exactly my notes from the previous scope and after setting zero in identical place, my DOPE card for 148gr 'White Box" ammo checkout perfectly. I'm attaching picture of my card with Elevation Turret markings for each distance from 100y to 700y.

Zero marking is first from the top (so it is past 1 in the middle of the distance to 2). Zero was established from 100yds. I reset my turret to basically 1.5 marking to match my notes.
If you wonder why i used 1.5 marking and not 1 - it is because for my favorite ammo, 174gr SB I'm at 1.

DOPE Card reads as follow (see my picture) - these are setting for Elevation Turret (E in my notes):

300y basically 2.25
400y 3.5
450y 3.8
500y 4.25
550y 4.9
600y 5.25
650y 5.9
700y 6.25

I know there are no "2.25" or "3.5" and etc elevation markings, but this is how i'm seeing it on elevation scale.

Weather Conditions are on the card. I was shooting without a spotter so my wind holdovers were little spotty, but elevation wise, this is spot on.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.

DOPE CARD
DOPE-Card-148gr.jpg
"White Box" Barnaul / WOLF
148gr-White-Box.jpg

Sniper-PU-New-Scope.jpg
Some "Target Cam" pics: 300yds
300-Target.jpg
550yds
550-Target.jpg
600yds
600-Target.jpg
650yds
650-Target.jpg
700yds
700-Target.jpg

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
great work Rob! Been meaning to take my PU out for some serious shooting and to setup a dope chart, this got me inspired

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Barnaul supposedly has the more consistent qualities of import ammo, however according to their website its actually little under loaded from traditional 147-150 grain ammo that coincides with PU turret ballistics at around 2800fps.

https://www.barnaulammo.com/rifle-ammo/barnaul-762x54R.php
I clocked that ammo on my Doppler and it gives me 2880 FPS. Standard deviation of 13.5fps, which is very good for that type of the ammo. That's why I'm mainly running it now.
SB 174gr works awesome but it is like $1.5 per shot with today's prices...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Rob, where do you shoot down there in the Ozarks? I go down there during the summer to visit my parents but wasnt aware of any good ranges that go out as far as you were shooting. It'd be great to be able to take some rifles with me when I go out that way to stretch my legs beyond the 400 yards I have here locally.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rob, where do you shoot down there in the Ozarks? I go down there during the summer to visit my parents but wasnt aware of any good ranges that go out as far as you were shooting. It'd be great to be able to take some rifles with me when I go out that way to stretch my legs beyond the 400 yards I have here locally.
That's private land, but Big Piney Club in Houston MO has 600yds range: https://bigpineysportsmansclub.com/
This is very nice club with multiple ranges and their 600yds one is awesome.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Rob, thats awesome thanks for sharing, I've had decent luck with the Barnaul 148 grain, different box but my 100 yard zero is almost exactly the same. Just curious what type of accuracy your'e seeing out of it, my rifle with Barnaul will hold about 2 moa 5 shot groups out to 200 (which unfortunately is my limit for now), but clearly you, the rifle, and ammo can deliver hits. Hopefully soon I can get to 300 and confirm there as well and see if my settings will be close to yours

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rob, thats awesome thanks for sharing, I've had decent luck with the Barnaul 148 grain, different box but my 100 yard zero is almost exactly the same. Just curious what type of accuracy your'e seeing out of it, my rifle with Barnaul will hold about 2 moa 5 shot groups out to 200 (which unfortunately is my limit for now), but clearly you, the rifle, and ammo can deliver hits. Hopefully soon I can get to 300 and confirm there as well and see if my settings will be close to yours
It is solid sub MOA with this ammo. Now, let me ask you this, have you accurized your rifle yet? Before I used kit from https://www.milsurpaccuracyinc.com/ it was shooting between 2-3MOA with that ammo.
Accurizing kit and barrel wrap in specific spot, brought that rifle to new heights https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?1163941-1944-Izhevsk-PU-sniper-rifle/page2

·
Registered
78 Posts
It is solid sub MOA with this ammo. Now, let me ask you this, have you accurized your rifle yet? Before I used kit from https://www.milsurpaccuracyinc.com/ it was shooting between 2-3MOA with that ammo.
Accurizing kit and barrel wrap in specific spot, brought that rifle to new heights https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?1163941-1944-Izhevsk-PU-sniper-rifle/page2

Thats great, would love to find some cheap ammo that would shoot that tight. I had one batch of Tula that would do ~1.5 pretty regularly, but the latest batch I bought is all over the place. Might try to see if I can find some of the white box you have.

I have actually used that kit on several of my rifles, and it definitely helped with flyers and tightened things up a bit on my PU. I have handloads that will shoot sub MOA but just cannot seem to get there with anything else.

Maybe I need to pull my handgaurd off and play with the length/location of my wrap, but I'm hesitant to change anything now with my handloads dialed in. Anyways, thanks!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Thats great, would love to find some cheap ammo that would shoot that tight. I had one batch of Tula that would do ~1.5 pretty regularly, but the latest batch I bought is all over the place. Might try to see if I can find some of the white box you have.

I have actually used that kit on several of my rifles, and it definitely helped with flyers and tightened things up a bit on my PU. I have handloads that will shoot sub MOA but just cannot seem to get there with anything else.

Maybe I need to pull my handgaurd off and play with the length/location of my wrap, but I'm hesitant to change anything now with my handloads dialed in. Anyways, thanks!
Trial and error with the location of the wrap definitely pays dividends, a bit at a time until you find the "sweet spot".

My '44 Izhevsk PU has what I believe to be an original wrap in the area of the front barrel band and this rifle is sub-MOA with handloads if I do my part......

DSC_0002.jpg

I will add that I left the wrap on this rifle, which also has original shims and appears to have been set up at the arsenal, exactly where I found it but I did shim and wrap a '39 Izhevsk and a '26 Izhevsk ex-Dragoon and the group sizes were reduced dramatically with a bit of experimentation with the wrap position but on those two rifles the front barrel band area did the trick also.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Trial and error with the location of the wrap definitely pays dividends, a bit at a time until you find the "sweet spot".

My '44 Izhevsk PU has what I believe to be an original wrap in the area of the front barrel band and this rifle is sub-MOA with handloads if I do my part......

View attachment 3726547

I will add that I left the wrap on this rifle, which also has original shims and appears to have been set up at the arsenal, exactly where I found it but I did shim and wrap a '39 Izhevsk and a '26 Izhevsk ex-Dragoon and the group sizes were reduced dramatically with a bit of experimentation with the wrap position but on those two rifles the front barrel band area did the trick also.
I agree in 100%! I'm believer in the wrap and shims. I copied your location on my PU and it did help for sure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts