Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that PU Scope were produced by 4 plants: "Progress", Kazan, Yoshkar-Ola, and Krasnogorsk. which one was the best maker, also, if I want to put one on my
Yugo PU 1944, do I NEED to have a 1944 or can a 1943 be right for it,
thank you

·
Gold Bullet member
14,176 Posts
Look at the number on your barrel shank. That should show you what scope it had originally.

I am not sure that any of the scopes are better than another in general. The best one for your rifle is probably going to be the best one you can find at a good price and in good condition. Since these scopes were so often changed, trying to get the one "right" for the rifle is probably not worth worrying about.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
As Mike said, the PU was easily swapped out if damaged, so combat rifles rarely had the same scope for long.
I would look for a good refurb if you want the likeliest "best" scope for shooting and durability -these have all stressed components and lenses replaced, usually in the 1960s, and were reblued, redated and stamped with the refurb square with a slash.
An original Progress scope, refurbed, would be a good bet and fairly common, but almost any maker would be just fine.
I try to match my scopes to the rifle year, but that is not essential. As the rifles continued in action until the end of the war, any war year is fine.

·
Administrator
19,287 Posts
The PU was actually made at 7 plants.
Your Yugo was not a WW2 weapon so its scope maker is really not significant. Pick one with the best optics for you.

·
Banned
1,151 Posts
As pointed out above, the original scope serial number on the left rear of the barrel, just in front of the receiver and above the wood line, will indicate which factory made the scope originally outfitted to your rifle. Almost all of the Yugo snipers are 1944 Izhevsks and most had B-Series Progress scopes made in 1943 and 1944 as their original scopes. Most A and B series "Progress scopes are undated, but a few are dated.

I myself much prefer a scope without any Soviet post-war refurb/inspection markings or modifications for these Yugo snipers, as these left Soviet possession before the Soviets began their post-war repair and upgrade programs and began using the familiar post-war refurb markings. Thus the scopes with these markings are not technically 100% correct for use on a Yugo issue PU rifle.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HI marcus

ok here is the original scope serial number on the left rear of the barrel, 584889, So is it a Progress ??
THANK YOU

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.