Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had any experience with these things? The company just opened a plant in my county and I, through a friend, have the option of getting one of the first off of the assembly line with a custom serial number for about a thousand bucks. It's a ton of scratch for me, but seems like a pretty cool opportunity. Are mags hard to come by? I have done ARs and AK for years, but never a G3 type rifle. I got the chance to handle one of theirs and it seems like a good piece, but wanted some more opinions prior to committing.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Actually I'd never heard of the firm or their products. I just added the Website below for the convenience of folks like me. I would simply say that nowadays I almost always prefer to let "new products" and the firms behind them, sort themselves out for a period of time. Often better to miss a special price opportunity to achieve a well tested and professionally evaluated product. I didn't bother to look at the company history, but I did note what appears to be something about a factory relocation. If successful, why? I wouldn't want to risk a pre-order dollars against an unsuccessful move. Again, just a cautionary flag.
Patience can be a virtue. I'd wait!
Just my take.

http://ptr91.com/products/

·
Registered
427 Posts
They are HK91 copies IIRC. I've seen lots of them here in commiefornia. I seem to be the only one within my friends that prefer the wood furniture. I'd buy one and sit on it for collectibility if you could spare the change.

Its on my list to get for sure

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
When roller lock rifles are put together wrong it can be a real pain! I fought a Century CETME for 4-5 years. New bolt head, carrier, rollers, furniture, sent back 3 times, got a new rifles on the last warranty repair. Things to look for: The rails should be squared not rounded. Trunnion should be welded in properly. Dimples in rear and front of receiver. Receiver widening from bolt head bumping the front of the trunnion causing rollers to try and set early. The PTR feels like they are built better to me. The Century stamped CETME was not the correct steel. They wouldn't even take a stanag scope mount.

·
Silver Bullet Member
11,898 Posts
I wouldn't get one of the first ones. Let them work the bugs out first.

·
Silver Bulet Member
938 Posts
PTR has been around for several years now, they moved south because of silly law changes up north. They make a quality weapon whose parts are interchangeable with HK parts. All HK mags work in them. Like all rifles, some folks like em some don't.

·
Silver Bulet Member
938 Posts
I own a FAL in addition to 2 PTR's, I really can't say I prefer one over the other. The PTR's cost me couple hundred less new than the FAL cost used. But I enjoy both.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts