Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if anyone has researched approximately how many of these are out there. Mine is a 1970 no maker M39. I know of at least three others. Who else has one?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Wasn't this marking added for export? The rifles had no maker's mark on the barrel so Panssarivarikko added the "PSV" in order to go by the numbers.
Interesting. I've wondered why Panssarivarikko bothered to do that in a first place.

I wonder how many PSV-rifles were marked in a first place and then exported...not too many I've seen or heard that were left back home.

·
Administrator
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why would PSV have been added for export? Never heard of this before. More info please!

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,088 Posts
Mike this information is not pertaining to the M39's but it is relative to the PSV marking. Lemmy gave me his "OK" to post these emails from last summer:

"Al,

Oh yes, I know this one.

Some time ago there was a thread about this marking on GB. At first I did not accept the theory about PSV meaning Panssarivarikko or Armour Depot. After all I heard the story from the guy who actually made the markings and I had to believe it.

Story goes so, that FDF was selling weapons for reservists. These weapons had to be proof fired and, according to regulations, civilian sales weapons shall have manufacturer´s markings. This marking was added on those guns, which did not have any manufacturer marking or logo (VKT, Tikka, SAKO) on the chamber. It could have been something else too, but Armour Depot markings were added, since they made the actual work and sold the weapons.

£

Al,

PSV-stamp has been added quite recently. Some number of m/28-76 rifles were reserved for sale here and they were stamped with PSV (if there was no manufacturer´s mark). Since FDF kept the price quite high, thise rifles did not sell and many of these proofed and PSV stamped rifles were sold to USA.

£"

·
Silver Bullet Member
5,451 Posts
View attachment 791144 Mike Not an M39 but I have this M28/76.

I think that "Shoots High" also posted here that he had a 1970 M39 so marked.
Yes, I have one and I know of one other in my area. I was talking to Dennis Kroh and Ted about these a few years ago, and they were aware of maybe 6 others. I have always treasured mine as an uncommon piece and have kept it in unfired condition. Although not a variant of the M39, if a person is collecting shank stamps, they are going to be real hard to find. Beyond that I know nothing other than what our Finn brothers have reported here. If you learn much more, please share that information with me.

·
Silver Bullet Member
5,451 Posts
I've been thinking about M39's with this stamp on them since my last post the other day. I think I paid $ 350 - $375 for what appeared to be an unissued rifle. I was buying the stamp not the M39, so to speak. I just knew that that stamp was a rare one. What would one sell for today on Gunbroker? I am just going to give it a wild guess and say that there less than 100 in the country - just a guess. Also noticed mine is a 68.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts