Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
7,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My buddy and I both istalled RedStar triggers in our PSL's.
I liked the way mine worked just fine until I test fired his rifle...and his requires less effort to touch off rounds than mine.
We took both back apart and examined all the bits which turned out to be identical, but his "hammer" spring is weaker than mine which allows less effort to pull the trigger.
Was this just the luck of the draw or are there different strength hammer springs floating around out there?

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
As indicated in the instructions, pull weight is determined by the spring, however, your screw settings do matter. Did you set it to single stage? Adjust travel length and after travel? It may not be the actual pull weight but the feel of the trigger as set with very little travel, it will feel light. Fine mirror polishing of the sear hook with 1500grit and the right lubrication can make it even lighter. The only realistic way to adjust the RSA is to shoot it, with the dust cover off, and make very tiny incremental changes to the screws (less than 1/8 turn). You can't really tell the difference unless it is being live fired. Once you find your sweet spot, stop and apply tiny dabs of locktite with a pin and let dry. Continued shooting will cause them to work out of adjustment quickly. Newer RSA kits have much better polishing than the older ones (that came with locktite already applied). There are also various after market springs you can try.

·
Banned
7,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked everything and our release points are the same as is the effort to make them release.
I'm talking about the effort to begin (and continue) trigger movement which is a function of the tails of the hammer spring sitting on the trigger's rear "flat" area..
On the bench I lifted one of the ends of the trigger spring off the trigger and it felt MUCH better..
In fact, I am quite tempted to amputate the last 1/2 inch off one of the hammer spring ends so that the spring still exerts close to the same force on the hammer itself by resting on the trigger cross pin but at the same time cutting in half the tension on the trigger itself..
Anybody tried this? I can buy hammer springs cheap, so I may just have to give it a try..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.