Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering how some of you collectors feel about provenance,let me explain,i recently acquired an aim pu sniper and of course I am looking for a sling.I came across two slings that I think would add a dimension to my sniper,one was an original leather sling and the other was a dark blue naval sling both excellent this would be a change from the traditional green/tan sling that I assume should be placed on the rifle.So how do some of you feel about that? Another question that I have is how can you spot an original pu scope lens cover.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
Put on whatever you like. I'd opt for the leather.

Most of my snipers have no sling added by me as I generally shoot from a rest and they get in the way.

I have a naval sling on a plain Mosin but not on a sniper -not sure if the Navy issued sniper PUs, but I am told they used Mosins for mine disposal at a distance.

Most scope lens covers were postwar additions at scope refurb as any used originals were too nasty to put on a nice refurb scope with new lenses at the optics facilities. I have only seen a very few possible originals and they look just like the postwar Russian/Ukrainian ones only dirtier and greasier, apparently cleaned with saddle soap that darkened them a lot or oiled with mink oil or neatsfoot oil like boots. Also, the old ones, like the old slings and non-refurb rifles, smell like sweat, automotive oil and tobacco smoke -new ones smell like good leather gloves and gun oil.

One recent original find on a PEM had the leather strap between the caps tied in two places to the scope with twine to keep it from flopping or getting in the way. The older scope caps have waxed flax or cotton thread used for stitching, like saddles, while some new ones seem to have synthetic thread.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I put a DDR marked leather sling on my PU. IMO it matches excellent even though not historically correct.
I also have a Romanian leather SKS sling on my Chinese Type 53.
Go for whatever you want

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
You are confusing the word "provenance" with "original (or correct) configuration". Provenance would be the history of the piece, its provable origin, ownership and use.

Full Definition of PROVENANCE - Internet Mirriam-Webster

1 : origin, source

2 : the history of ownership of a valued object or work of art or literature

·
Registered
19,294 Posts
My view : Any sling for a M91/30 will suffice.

Its a post war refurb PU sniper (I own one from AIM as well) and therefore,
any sling will be "period correct".

I have a 5 gallon bucket full of slings that came with normal 91/30 refurbs that
came with them and all the other stuff that goes unused. If I want a sling on my
PU, just grab any of them.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Plaster's The Ultimate Sniper, makes a passing reference to a Filipp Yakovlevich, naval infantryman, as a very successful sniper in the Caucasus. The weapon used is not mentioned, but it might indicate that the USSR Navy did issue scoped rifles.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
Zaitsev was originally the Navy paymaster for the Vladivostok fleet. He and his other Navy volunteers wore their striped Navy shirts during their first days at Stalingrad but were, of course, part of a Siberian Rifle Regiment of the Red Army.

I think their were some PUs issued to Navy men, but almost certainly to Red Marines who performed many heroic landings and counterattacks particularly in the Leningrad defense. I haven't seen Marine sniper pictures but would bet some exist.

QUOTE=darkd0r;3022367]Plaster's The Ultimate Sniper, makes a passing reference to a Filipp Yakovlevich, naval infantryman, as a very successful sniper in the Caucasus. The weapon used is not mentioned, but it might indicate that the USSR Navy did issue scoped rifles.[/QUOTE]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts