Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Finnish M-39 (300,000 sn range)and wanted to know the proper ammo to use. I know its caliber 7.62x54R however, in the book "Mosin-Nagant rifle" by Lapin he states (on pg 117) "Finnish rifle bores were tighter at 0.3082 to 0.3095 inches than Russian bores at 0.310 to 0.311 inches and there was a possibility of dangerously high pressures if the larger diameter round was used in the tighter Finnish bores." He talks about the new "D" round was the proper ammo. Does anyone know anything about this? Is all 7.62x54R surplus ammo found these days the "D" round? What are people shooting in there M-39s. I did check out 7.62x54r.net ammo page. Thanks

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
You are good shooting any of the "common" x54r surplus on the market today. I like Polish and Hungarian light ball with these. Have fun and shoot safe.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I'm kind of in the same boat...first M39, about ready to re-assemble it, and test it with various ammo types.

For some reason, I find it hard to believe that the Finns would make their main war rifle unsafe to fire with their principal enemy's ammunition. After all, they standardized on the Mosin Nagant platform for some reason, and easy use of enemy ammo surely had to be one of the main ideas behind this.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I'm kind of in the same boat...first M39, about ready to re-assemble it, and test it with various ammo types.

For some reason, I find it hard to believe that the Finns would make their main war rifle unsafe to fire with their principal enemy's ammunition. After all, they standardized on the Mosin Nagant platform for some reason, and easy use of enemy ammo surely had to be one of the main ideas behind this.
See above.

I would say any Bulgarian '52 or '53 light ball is not so good. Has nothing to do with the M-39 but rather the quality of the ammo itself. Many say the heavy ball Bulgarian of these years is OK, but I don't find heavy ball in the M-39 as a good surp. load.

·
Registered
504 Posts
For the M-39 or any other Mosin, for that matter...the absolute gourmet ammo has got to be 1984 or 1985 Soviet surplus. Shoots better than you can, guaranteed.
They don't have any at the moment, but the last two times it was around, ammunitiontogo had it http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=33
I posted about it last time it was get-able, and I think Shyquestor said he got himself some...any report Shy?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
For the M-39 or any other Mosin, for that matter...the absolute gourmet ammo has got to be 1984 or 1985 Soviet surplus. Shoots better than you can, guaranteed.
They don't have any at the moment, but the last two times it was around, ammunitiontogo had it http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=33
I posted about it last time it was get-able, and I think Shyquestor said he got himself some...any report Shy?
Dear Bama--Didn't think it shot any better than the Hungarian, but it might have been a bad day at the range (is there ever a bad day at the range :confused:).

I will try to shoot some side-x-side through the same tube and make a report soon.

My repro sniper likes the Polish and Hungarian stuff, actually.
Silver tip shoots good, but junks things up.

(Awesome track is "Camp Meeting", Bruce Hornsby-- Album is Camp Meeting. Get this tune and love the base line! It cooks.)

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I just bought a Finnish M-39 (300,000 sn range)and wanted to know the proper ammo to use. I know its caliber 7.62x54R however, in the book "Mosin-Nagant rifle" by Lapin he states (on pg 117) "Finnish rifle bores were tighter at 0.3082 to 0.3095 inches than Russian bores at 0.310 to 0.311 inches and there was a possibility of dangerously high pressures if the larger diameter round was used in the tighter Finnish bores." He talks about the new "D" round was the proper ammo. Does anyone know anything about this? Is all 7.62x54R surplus ammo found these days the "D" round? What are people shooting in there M-39s. I did check out 7.62x54r.net ammo page. Thanks
Welcome Craig-

M39s have nominal .3095" groove diameters. The Finn D round is based on the D166 200 gr. BT bullet. You will not readily find this ammo, but you can make your own using this Lapua bullet. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=721823
Some Finn 28/30 rifles have .308" groove diameters. These are the ones that need special care in ammo selection.

Here are some 'must reads' for you on the M39 and the 7.62x54R ammo.

M39 at MosinNagant.net http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/finnish_mosin_nagantm39.asp

Some ammo comments by Doug Bowser (look towards the middle of the page) http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/Bowser.asp

The best groups I have fired in an M39 used Sierra 180 gr .311 SP and 174 gr .311 Matchking bullets. Surplus light ball that others have mentioned works fine too.

The Finn 'D' chambering has a long tapered throat that easily swages the larger .311" bullets down to bore size.

Have fun with your M39.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Regardless of personal preferences or "pet loads", any surplus 7.62x54r is perfectly safe to shoot in an M39. The rare exception would be loads designed specifically for machine guns but you're not even likely to encounter those on the market.
The MG load point is a good one that I did not mention above. And, yes, it is possible to encounter some of this, or at least about three years ago when I got some in a can on links, and still possibly today at show.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the great feedback. I now have the piece of mind to take it to the range and try'er out. I have some Czech silvertip, Albanian and Polish around the house to start with.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Thanks for all the great feedback. I now have the piece of mind to take it to the range and try'er out. I have some Czech silvertip, Albanian and Polish around the house to start with.
If you get any bolt operation problems with the Czech, move to the Polish (assumed copper-washed) and you will see the difference due to the lack the lacquer on the case that the Czech has. Czech is great ammo, but if your chamber is not really clean, it can be problematic in cycling the bolt.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts

It's my understanding that the Finns throated these for use with .311 ammo, same as Ruger throated their Mini-30 to be safe with a .308 bore & .311 surplus ammo.

Anybody have additional info on this?

·
Registered
604 Posts
The MG load point is a good one that I did not mention above. And, yes, it is possible to encounter some of this, or at least about three years ago when I got some in a can on links, and still possibly today at show.
Are we still talking about MG ammo? I thought we had already covered the fact there was no "MG only" ammo... :confused:

·
Registered
604 Posts
The fact that something was used in wartime because it was available doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea. There are plenty of cases around the world and throughout history where the same caliber cartridges were loaded differently for use in different firearms.
What modern military rounds were loaded differently?

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
When was that "covered"? How do you reconcile it with the information on this page? http://mosinnagant.net/r2ssia.asp

The "Shkas Machine gun round LEDGEND" is mostly a misunderstanding of the compatability issues when used in rifles. Actual Soviet Ammunition Tech manuals explain that the Cartridge case material is thicker in Shkas intended ammunition and the primer cup is much thicker in this MG ammunition. It his loaded to standard pressure levels however and may be safely used in rifles but there may be function issues, or a failure to fire or extract. Since this could be fatal to a GI in combat.....the ammo was not to be used in rifles.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts