Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could somebody give me some info on this proofmark and the writing on the bolt handle ... was lookin around not sure what they are .. bought a enfield yesterday and im thinkin its a india made one cause on the bolt handle it says india and i was wondering if i could get some info on it check the pics please i know its a no1 mk3 it was made in 1951 303 cal . all matchin numbers and everythings there except the cleaning kit but i have yet to find one of them in the enfields i own so any info would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

·
Copper Bullet member
570 Posts
Yes, your rifle was made in India. The marking in the second picture is the Century International Arms import marking - they were the company that imported this rifle into the US.

Nice looking rifle!

-Mark

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Interesting that it is a post independence, post Republic (1950) dated receiver yet still sports the crown/GRI rather than the ashoka/RFI. I have a 1951 Ishapore rifle that has the latter. I would expect that yours would probably be one of the last ones so marked.

Text Brown Wood Carving Font

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i did notice today that it looks to be a 5 groove barrel and im wondering how to find out where it was made i heard something bout nepal bringin a higher value but im not sure what here so im still doin some research on it anyway to tell ?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
Not sure what you're looking for here. As every post in this thread has accurately stated, your rifle was made at Rifle Factory Ishapore, near Calcutta in India. And as 4thGordons has pointed out, it's likely one of the very last Ishapore produced rifles to be marked with the old imperial cypher (crown/GRI). For the most part, No1 MkIIIs/SMLEs will have the manufacturer and date of manufacture stamped on the right side of the buttsocket.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts