Gunboards Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Can you post a pic of the Alfa please?
No problem, it is a 2007 GT Blackline

The photo below was taken by the seller, since then she’s been clayed/polished/waxed etc and looks much shinier.Spent more on her in 3 weeks than I did on the Mitsubishi Shogun she’s replaced in 8 years.....by the way her name is Mirabella 🥰

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
She is all back in one piece now, will hopefully get a chance to take a few decent outdoor pics in the next day or two.

She has cycled a couple of full mags of dummy rounds and cycled flawlessly but I will check the headspace in the next day or two just to be on the safe side. The chamber is spotless but the bore isn’t as good as I’d have liked but hopefully this will improve once she has a few firing/cleaning/firing cycles under her belt.

One thing that did surprise me is the fact there is still remnants of very old white paint in the markings on the underside of the rear sight.It appears that at some point the curvature of the rear sight leaf has been flattened but I will probably leave it as it is.

Probably the biggest PITA of the whole project was trying to get all the accumulated muck out of the cleaning rod channel inside the stock and out of the rod retaining nut so I could get the cleaning rod to screw in nicely!

·
Registered
211 Posts
After you get through cleaning the barrel try running a couple of wads of Never Dull metal polish or a British equivalent through the barrel. I find it really helps clean the lands and grooves of the discoloration of military oils and cosmoline (though that rifle doesn't look like it has seen cosmoline).

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,492 Posts
People often panic when they see rust. Deep pitting rust is one thing like dug up relics from Russia. But surface rust if you can catch it at that stage is usually not bad to deal with. The shock to seeing rust can be worse than what your looking at. I work with old machinery, machine tools and steam locomotives that have sat outside and collected rain and moisture that seldom dries up. This kind of rust causes more problems. Love the thread and to me this would of been a fun project. Thanks for posting an interesting thread. Regards, John.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
People often panic when they see rust. Deep pitting rust is one thing like dug up relics from Russia. But surface rust if you can catch it at that stage is usually not bad to deal with. The shock to seeing rust can be worse than what your looking at. I work with old machinery, machine tools and steam locomotives that have sat outside and collected rain and moisture that seldom dries up. This kind of rust causes more problems. Love the thread and to me this would of been a fun project. Thanks for posting an interesting thread. Regards, John.
Thank you John 👍

This is the first rifle I have done that was in this condition, my New England Westinghouse had surface rust etc but not as bad as this one.I have enjoyed the process and learnt quite a bit on the way to giving the old girl a second chance......she was likely going to be scrapped if I hadn’t taken her on.

I have given the bore another clean today and it seems to be getting better each time.I have left oil in the bore and will give it another clean in a few days and see how much more comes out.I’m convinced it will look much better once it has had some rounds down it.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Thank you John 👍

This is the first rifle I have done that was in this condition, my New England Westinghouse had surface rust etc but not as bad as this one.I have enjoyed the process and learnt quite a bit on the way to giving the old girl a second chance......she was likely going to be scrapped if I hadn’t taken her on.

I have given the bore another clean today and it seems to be getting better each time.I have left oil in the bore and will give it another clean in a few days and see how much more comes out.I’m convinced it will look much better once it has had some rounds down it.
Can you buy JB's Boreshine or Osso paste there? I've had better luck getting old neglected bores cleaned up with those two (especially the JB's) than any solvent I've tried.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Just curious, are you going to leave the metal "in the white"?
yes mate, it will stay as it is as I don’t want to reblue it as the intention is more to preserve than restore so it will have a regular light coating of oil when required which is what I do with my N.E.W which is also pretty much in the white and that has been fine for over a year......here in the UK we don’t get the humidity you guys in the USA have in some states.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Just got a load more muck out of the barrel, this is where we’re at as of this moment....:

21 - 40 of 43 Posts