Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may remember my post earlier this year about my new project, a 1897 Tula M91 in a sorry state that I named Old Rusty........well I was finally able to collect her from my dealer last Thursday as they were able to open again after easing of the Covid lockdown that we have had in the UK since the start of January.

Here is the original thread with some photos of how she looked......

Yesterday I spent around 5 hours cleaning up the small parts, the bolt assembly, magazine and floorplate/follower assembly and I’m really pleased with how they have turned out.I used very fine bronze wool and plenty of Ballistol, as well as quite a bit of patience!

Today I spent a good few hours carefully cleaning the sling slot escutcheons, I took my time as I cleaned them up in situ as I didn’t want to risk trying to remove the screws as they probably wouldn’t come out without being damaged.The buttplate and its screws were rather rusty and I did think the screws would be a nightmare to remove but a bit of penetrating oil and a clean of the screw slots (plus a tap with a small hammer on the screwdriver bit before attempting to undo them!) saw them undo relatively easily.I then carefully cleaned what seemed like 124 years of muck and grime off the stock which now looks much better.The wood was very dry so it has had a first coat of oil and is now drying......will post some pics of the stock in detail once it’s done and I’m happy with it.

It turns out there is quite a mix of parts to Old Rusty, the stock is a New England Westinghouse stock and the other parts are a mix of Tula and Izhevsk and I think the cocking piece may be from a Chauteraullt as it has a C in a circle stamp on the top.

Anyway, here’s some pics of progress so far......

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will hopefully start cleaning up the receiver/barrel in the next day or two, in the metal the corrosion isn’t as bad as it looks in photos and appears to be surface rust rather than the nasty deep pitted variety.Once I start I’ll take before, during and after pics and will add them as well as pics of the stock.

The barrel bands that came with it have broken screws but I have a spare set from when I restored my N.E.W but the way they have broken means I may possibly be able to repair them.There was no cleaning rod or handguard with her but I have managed to source a very nice handguard and a rod so hopefully it won’t be too long before she is complete 👍

·
Gold Bullet Member
932 Posts
Nice job!
This is the stock on my T53 I just finished sanding down (but saving all the character) and applying 5 coats of Tru Oil yesterday.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
It's coming along nicely! Good show what patience does for a big project such as this. Some folks should take a few notes??;)

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
Nice work so far. Those projects can be a pain in the butt. But, you'll be proud of the results.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not overly important to your project but what does the bore look like?
The bore looks pretty good, at certainly looks very promising.I’m hoping to get onto the barrel/receiver in the next day or two and will post some bore pics once it is cleaned up, will take some before and after pics.

I did notice the barrel has its original crown which looks surprisingly good 👍

I must have a subconscious “thing” for rusty things as recently purchased an Alfa Romeo which is dividing my time at the moment!.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just want to add a bit thank you to Gunboards member HenryB for finding me an excellent handguard and a perfect cleaning rod, very much appreciated Henry 👍

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
now that is truly a rebirth!!! amazing what you can do with patiance! remember that, PATIANCE IS A VIRTUE, POSSESE IT IF YOU CAN, ALLWAYS FOUND IN WOMAN, REARLEY FOUND IN MAN!! you have found it !!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Looks like night and day. I use steel wool to get rust/ gunk off. Not hard of course. But its good to see another rifle given life again.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Very nice job OP! I love seeing mistreated old rifles given a second chance. Hopefully the bore will clean up just as nicely for you. :)

·
Gold Bullet Member
807 Posts
The bore looks pretty good, at certainly looks very promising.I’m hoping to get onto the barrel/receiver in the next day or two and will post some bore pics once it is cleaned up, will take some before and after pics.

I did notice the barrel has its original crown which looks surprisingly good 👍

I must have a subconscious “thing” for rusty things as recently purchased an Alfa Romeo which is dividing my time at the moment!.

Can you post a pic of the Alfa please?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts