Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I brought this review over from the old site. It was written by Tuco.

For a long time I have looked for a program that would finally get my collection organized. The largest problems that I seemed to come across was that a lot of so called “collectors” software were quite poor, were hard to use, were unreliable, or were too difficult to deal with when starting to add a large collection. I was then sent a program created by http://www.nmcollector.net/ for testing so I decided to give it a chance to see how it worked.

Download Attachment:
110.46 KB

What I found surprised me a bit as I can not really find a flaw in the software. It is very easy to use (even if you have to enter a large collection) and has features that are well thought out - offering even more features than some users would ever make use of. This software allows one to enter all data required by the BATF but also offers features that appeal to the collector. One can create notes and even photos on rifles in their collection, which can be accessed and viewed with ease. It makes it quite easy to search through ones collection without having to go to the gun safe and start pulling out rifles-pistols to find what you might be looking for. Simply put this is a great piece of software and one that all collectors can make easy use of.

Here are some notes from the designer :

“As a C&R holder myself, the C&R format was fine for what ATF needs. However, I found myself trying to figure out ways to keep extra notes that were important to my family and I. Things like condition, historical notes, unique things about the piece, etc. Also, purchase price, appraised value, and if I sold a piece, how much I sold it for.
During the development process I gathered comments from beta users and vastly improved it. I continue to collect comments and suggestions for future releases.
My Qualifications
First, and most importantly to me, I am an active firearms collector. I have been aggressively collecting guns for almost ten years now. In addition, I grew up with guns and was first exposed to gun collecting as a child. My grandfather had two new in the box Mosin Nagants. Unfortunately, when he died, the guns went to another family member who was old enough to keep them. However, it planted a seed in my life that later came to fruition when I could afford to start my own collection.
In addition, and perhaps more importantly to you, I have over 20 years of hands-on computer programming experience. My most recent experience has been developing Windows database applications. “

The designer is so confident you will like this software that a limited free version is available for you to test. I do feel that once you test this software you will really like it and make use of it for years to come. Truly this is a great product and one that should help all collectors keep their collection in order. I know that it helped me.

Purchase Info :
http://www.nmcollector.net/nmguncollector/index.htm
Or
http://www.aimsurplus.com

·
Gold Bullet member
550 Posts
I have been using this for several years. It really is quite amazing. The one caveat is that the pictures are not kept within the program itself. They are accessed by the program from other folders on your computer. If you ever change computers you not only have to take the program and data to the new computer but the additional picture files as well.

regards....roger

·
Registered
24 Posts
thanks guys! I thought I lost the Tuco review! NM Gun Collector is quite old so I have stopped producing it. I do continue to support it for as long as anyone wants to continue to use it.

I have a new package out now that allows you to track your gun collection and any other collectibles in the same program (you don't have to buy a separate version of the program for each type of collectible). You can even use it for general home inventory purposes. Also, I provide a migration path so users of NM Gun Collector do not have to re-enter their data.

This new program, NM Collector Software JE, stores pictures in the database by default. However, I had one user of NM Gun Collector with over 500 guns and several pictures for each gun migrate his data into NM Collector Software JE and bring it to it's knees!!! That is one disadvantage of storing pictures in the database. Well, to address that issue I now allow you to choose whether you want to store your pictures in the database or just reference them in the file system like NM Gun Collector does.

Thanks again for bringing this review back on-line. Perhaps someone would like to review NM Collector Software JE?

Clay

·
Registered
24 Posts
Version 2.3 of NM Collector Software now available

Changes in NM Collector Software version 2.3.0 (see complete history of changes here)
  • Clearly marked first field on Identification Tab as the Bar Code field
  • Improvements to Events tab
  • Improvements to Maintenance tab
  • Clean up, reformat, and improve functionality of Collection Types Screen
    • Fixed bug with one insert right after another losing data from previous
    • Fixed issues with data not being saved unless tab was pressed after each entry
  • Improved existing collection types by changing first [Bar Code] field to Unique ID
    • Ammo
    • Home Inventory
    • Whistles
  • Created new collection types for:
    • Licenses
    • Subscriptions
    • Recipes
    • Passwords
  • Created new reports to more easily report out on new collection types:
    • Simple Inventory (all Identification tab fields)
    • Simple Inventory with Notes (all Identification tab fields plus Description tab Notes fields)
Clay Pryor
NM Collector Software

·
Registered
24 Posts
Version 2.3.1 now available ... this should be the last upgrade for a while ...

Changes in NM Collector Software version 2.3.1 (see complete history of changes here)

* Clean up, reformat, and improve functionality of all List Edits Screens
o Fixed bug with one insert right after another losing data from previous
o Fixed issues with data not being saved unless tab was pressed after each entry

·
Registered
24 Posts
NM Collector Software Version 2.4.0 Much Faster

NM Collector Software Version 2.4.0 now available for download. Large collections will see an order of magnitude improvement in response times with this new release. The database interface for Version 2.4.0 of NM Collector Software was rewritten to maximize performance. Here is a complete list of changes in this release:
  • Major database performance improvements (see benchmark results)
  • Added pop up calendar option for all dates
  • Report Improvements
    • Display clear error message when a missing font causes a report to fail
    • Reports can now be saved to PDF and XLS formats
  • Added common calibers to Ammo template
  • Added status messages on shut down to discourage people from killing the program while it is writing data to disk! People have lost data by “force closing” the program in the past.
  • Provide the option to write data to disk without having to close the program
  • Added input length validation check for combo boxes
  • Added Java version check on start up

Thank you!

Clay

1 - 6 of 6 Posts