Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.chapmanmfg.com

Like many C&R collectors I spend a lot of time taking rifles apart and putting them back together for a variety of reasons. Of course, one wants to do this with a minimum of risk to the screw heads that hold the parts together. All of us have probably seen far too many guns with gouged and chewed up screw heads and slots. One basic tool in my workshop for over 20 years has been a Chapman Gun Screw Driver set. I would suggest that, of any tools one may buy to work on firearms, high quality screw drivers are the most necessary and basic. Most gun screws have parallel sided, flat bottomed screw heads and using conventional screw drivers on them really increases the chances of causing them damage. The kit in the photo has been with me for over two decades and has disassembled and reassembled many dozens of rifles with virtually no damage to any screw heads. The Chapman drivers are high quality tools and available from Brownells and many other shooting supply sources. I see them as a bargain, since they can be purchased for $25-$30 for the basic set and they will last you for a lifetime. Slotted and Phillips type replacement tips are available, as well as allen head driver tips, but I have never broken one or deformed one, so have not had occasion to order a replacement. I keep one set in my work shop and another set in my range bag. They really do make working on C&R rifles a lot more efficient and fun.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts