Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Break Free Bore Cleaning Foam, Non-Toxic Copper Remover.

I saw some for the first time and purchased it from a local retailer for $12.95 U.S. Dollars. "It's worth trying", I thought.

It is an aerosol canister with 3.06 ounces of material inside. Similar to a can of shaving cream, but having a different nozzle and a 6 inch tube of clear plastic attached to the nozzle. A removable red cap on top of the can, over the nozzle button, prevents accidental sprays.

Printed on the back of the can are the words...

"INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE: Shake before use. Unload weapon, remove bolt and fill cold barrel with foam, using plastic tube when spraying from chamber to barrel muzzle end and rubber nozzle when introducing foam in the opposite direction. Stop spraying when foam becomes visible at the other end. Leave barrel in horizontal position and allow foam to act for about 10-15 minutes. Copper oxidation gives foam a bluish hue. Remove foam with cleaning patch. Lubricate bore with Break-Free CLP or Collector prior to use or storage to preserve, maintain and protect your weapon. Do not allow cleaning residues to enter loading device."

I tried it on two similar firearms with differing bore conditions. The first, a 1930's Rifle No.1 MKIII .303British after firing 15 rounds. The second, a Rifle No.4 Mk2 .303British after a range session involving 60 or more rounds fired.

Each rifle was prepared according to instructions on the can and foam was applied from the chamber until it exited the muzzle. The foam appears white. It's less dense than shaving cream. It's more like the bubbles formed by dishwashing soap, but with smaller and finer bubbles. The foam was allowed to work for approximately 12 minutes.

The first rifle only needed a few patches to push out the cleaning residues and a few patches (wet with CLP) wrapped around a .30 caliber bore brush to wipe the bore clean.

The second rifle was more fouled. The foam did most of the work but some deposits (copper and powder/carbon fouling) remained and continued to show up several wet-with-CLP-patches later.
After wiping the bore with a dry patch, I resorted to using an already proven product, Remington Bore Cleaner, to scrub away the stubborn deposits. Around 5-8 patches wrapped around a bore-brush and wet with the Remington Bore Cleaner were needed. (I apologize for not keeping an exact count.) Then the bore was ready for final cleaning with a few patches wet with CLP.

In fairness, the Break-Free Bore Cleaning Foam performed to my expectations. I was able to clean/inspect other items while letting the foam work to remove or soften bore deposits. It saved me time and some repetitions of cleaning-rod strokes.
I didn't expect the foam to fully clean the second rifle's bore. That rifle has required long cleaning sessions on previous occasions. Perhaps a second application of the foam would have done the trick. It's something I could try in the future.

I offer my evaluation of Break-Free Bore Cleaning Foam for your benefit.

Sincerely,
Craig

1 - 1 of 1 Posts