Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
21,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke the pawl on my Thompson a few months back and had my gunsmith put a new one in. I ordered it, gave it to him, and he gave me the old one back, so I know the new one was installed. I might have had 1500 rounds cycled prior to it breaking.

I recently put 325ish rounds through the gun, About 190 rounds the first time I took it out, and 138 rounds by last count. After the 125th round, the pawl broke again, and the bolt doesn't lock back after last round out.

My Question; seem abnormal for a pawl to break after such a small amount of rounds?

TIA,

VA-Vet

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Please post pictures of the broken part. To a metallurgist, the broken part can give indications of the type of forces on the part which caused the break. Good clear, close-up pictures of the part are needed. Replaceing parts without know why the break happened is not the way to go.

·
Banned
21,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Roger on the pics. The replacement part came from Kahr Arms. See what I can get in the way of a photo.

VA-Vet

·
Banned
21,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, ok. but my TM1C was manufactured around 2008, from what I can tell.

VA-Vet

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Sometimes you just get a bum part.
Kahr had their usual start up problems with the Thompson guns and got a bad reputation that hangs on to this day, even after they sorted out the problems.

For some reason, Kahr runs in a common pattern with new guns or models. They seem to use the customer to do too much of the development and trouble shooting.
Once they find and fix any problems the guns are good to go.

As above, I suspect you simply got a defective part.

·
Banned
21,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still haven't got the gun back from the gunsmiths yet, so unable to provide photos just yet...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.