Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was at the range today and the mag was coming out during firing. Once seated, I couldn't pull it out and I'm pretty sure my finger isn't anywhere near the mag release but it's coming out while firing. Any ideas?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, haven't done anything but a basic field strip for cleaning and the magazine looks new. The whole thing looked unissued when I got it and I've only put about 200 rounds through it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Should I disassemble the mag release? I've never had one of these down that far, is it pretty straight forward? I had heard a lot of these were unissued, mine was pretty clean when I got it but is it possible that some cosmo is causing it to stick? Did they even pack these in grease for storage? Unfortunately, I don't have another magazine yet, so I don't have anything to compare it to. There aren't any obvious wear marks on the mag release notch on the magazine, I'm assuming it's the quarter circle near the top of the mag on the right side.

·
Registered
309 Posts
First off, I would try to examine the action of the mag latch (or lack thereof) as you insert the mag in. There may be cosmoline/crap jammed into the mag release, or the mag may not be going in far enough. Might want to clean it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
PA-63 imported in the last 10+ years are not surplus and never have been.
Are you sure? I am not trying to be antagonistic, but here is a quote from:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FEG_PA-63
"Many of the objections raised to the PA-63 have to do with its perception as a military service pistol in the tradition of the American M1911A1, the Russian Tokarev, ... As its design can be traced back to a German pocket pistol intended for concealed carry in a pocket or under a coat rather than in a holster on the battlefield, these objections are perhaps understandable. After the fall of communism in 1990, the Hungarian army and police units initiated a program to replace the PA-63 with pistols using the NATO standard 9x19mm Parabellum cartridge, first the imported Jericho Model 941, followed by the domestically produced P9RC, but the PA-63 is still in service in hungarian law enforcement."

·
Copper Bullet member
2,483 Posts
SSME took over the dealership for FEG in about 2000 for the USA , a lest that's when I first saw them on their tables and Shona told me all her guns were all brand new and all had steel frames ,and she couldn't get any PA-63's from the factory because they didn't make them any more, no alloyed frames were being any more, now that FEG is closed I doubt if will ever know for sure about anything, most for the PA-63 'S that she sold were imported by TG or they would have their own importer mark on them, so you can consider all PA-63's as surplus, and should be cleaned as any other surplus weapon

NORM

·
Banned
10,843 Posts
Are you sure? I am not trying to be antagonistic, but here is a quote from:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FEG_PA-63
"Many of the objections raised to the PA-63 have to do with its perception as a military service pistol in the tradition of the American M1911A1, the Russian Tokarev, ... As its design can be traced back to a German pocket pistol intended for concealed carry in a pocket or under a coat rather than in a holster on the battlefield, these objections are perhaps understandable. After the fall of communism in 1990, the Hungarian army and police units initiated a program to replace the PA-63 with pistols using the NATO standard 9x19mm Parabellum cartridge, first the imported Jericho Model 941, followed by the domestically produced P9RC, but the PA-63 is still in service in hungarian law enforcement."
You are not antagonistic at all. The question is simple. Are the brand new PA-63, that were imported in the past 10 years, surplus? The answer is: no. They are brand new pistols. They were made to be sold all over the world. The Hungarian government did not order them. Since they were not made for Hungarian government, they are not surplus.

·
Banned
10,843 Posts
SSME took over the dealership for FEG in about 2000 for the USA , a lest that's when I first saw them on their tables and Shona told me all her guns were all brand new and all had steel frames ,and she couldn't get any PA-63's from the factory because they didn't make them any more, no alloyed frames were being any more, now that FEG is closed I doubt if will ever know for sure about anything, most for the PA-63 'S that she sold were imported by TG or they would have their own importer mark on them, so you can consider all PA-63's as surplus, and should be cleaned as any other surplus weapon

NORM
Did SSME go under as well? Or are they only going to do gun shows?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I had a PA-63 that did that. I striped the mag and put it in a vice, perpendicular to the jaws, back of the mag on one jaw rounded front on the other at the top of the mag where the cutout is for the mag catch . don't forget to pad the vice with cardboard, you don't want vice rash. now comes the tricky part turn the vice handle gradually, 1/2 turn to 3/4 turn. remove and test fit in your gun. do not reassemble the mag, fit only the body. what you are doing by squeezing the mag front to back you make it wider side to side. if you need to go a little more, 1 turn to 1&1/2 turns. go slow and get a feel for what you are doing. if you go to far you can squeeze in the other direction. if you look in the mag well you will notice the mag catch does not protrude very far into the well. it can't if it did it would interfere with the follower. it rests on the thickness of metal of the mag. when the mag shifts under recoil it falls out. as for being hard to remove mine are like that too, the follower drags on the frame. one piece of advice. when you field strip to clean it put your finger on the slide lock, the black lever on the left side of the frame, it can come off with the slide removed. no big deal. good for a couple of cuss words.
hope this helps it worked for me.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Awesome, I will tear it down and give everything a thorough cleaning and give the vice trick a try. I have a set of rubber pads that I made for my vice jaws, so that should be an easy mod. Thanks everyone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.