Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an infrequent reloader so I always get out the directions and guides before I jump in again. With the shortage of .380 ammunition still ongoing, I decided to try and reload some of my old brass I have been policing up after shooting over several years. I successfully cleaned, polished and resized/deprimed a batch of mixed headstamp brass. However upon expanding the brass, I ran into problems with only one headstamp - FEDERAL 380 AUTO. The Federal brass would not expand and instead deformed about 1/4 inch below the mouth on every case I tried. I adjusted the die to lessen the expansion but no luck. On closer examination, i see the Federal brass has a score machined into the inside of the case causing the case to buckle when pressure is applied to expand the mouth.
Anyone experienced this before? Am I doing something wrong or is this an anti-reuse device by the manufacturer? I had zero problems with the rest of the cases, mostly W-W, RP and WIN cases.
Pics below:

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
1,234 Posts
Looks like an internal ledge to keep the bullet from setting back in the case. Huh go figure! short of trying remove it with a inside neck reamer,Not worth the effort IMO, you could try to alter the nose of your belling die. ???

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RU shooter,
You are correct. I measured the Federal casing with the inside measure of my calipers and the case gets narrower at the line to form a ledge as you surmised. As a comparison, a WIN casing I pulled at random seems to narrow gradually from the mouth to the base. The Federal case weighs in at 50 grains and the WIN case weighs lighter at 46 grains which surprised me at first because I first conjectured that the Federal case might be buckling because the walls were thinner when, in fact, the expander seems to be contacting the abrupt thickening of the walls at the line in the Federal case before doing it's job the expand the case mouth. I'm using RCBS 3-set carbide dies on a Rockchucker press. The .380 dies are brand new. Guess I'll just pitch the Federal brass and avoid it in the future. Thanks for the insight.
D.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.