Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I have recently started restoring my sporterized vet bring-back 1938 Kar98k to it's wartime condition. The rear sight ramp, spring, and leaf had been removed from the rifle when it was sporterized . I have just replaced the sight ramp and spring. However I am having EXTREME difficulty getting the leaf onto the rifle because the leaf spring is too strong for me to depress it enough to get the leaf in. Is it supposed to require a huge amount of force to get this on? I don't want to somehow get it on and then not be able to get it off because the spring is too strong or bent.

Any advice and/or instruction will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
545 Posts
It is a very srong spring, I use a modified c clamp, make the top end of clamp so it fits on top of spring, bottom of clamp goes under gun on stock, put something like electrical tape on clamp ends to keep from scratching gun, compress and tap rear sight into the ears with a brass punch, works great good luck.

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
It is a very srong spring, I use a modified c clamp, make the top end of clamp so it fits on top of spring, bottom of clamp goes under gun on stock, put something like electrical tape on clamp ends to keep from scratching gun, compress and tap rear sight into the ears with a brass punch, works great good luck.
^ This.

If you are careful and patient, you don't need to modify the C clamp. You just need to be sure the clamp is padded where it comes up against the metal.

·
Platinum+ Bullet Member
2,298 Posts
put something like electrical tape on clamp ends to keep from scratching gun
You can also use a piece of wood shim or a section of a paint stick.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
I've always just used my hands. In fact the Germans had to start reusing the pins as the leaf would slide out unintentionally. If they are really stubborn a small screwdriver or punch used to push down on the spring will allow the leaf to slide most of the way in.

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
If you plan on removing ever again why not modify it only 2.00 clamp, and you will have it ready to go for ever, dont have to be patient ready to go quick and easy.
If you ever saw my shop, that $2 clamp would get lost or modified for some other use in a matter of just days, and I would need to buy and modify clamps every time I needed to do this.

Fortunately, this is an operation that most people will only need to do a relatively few times with their collections.

I usually have more problem dealing with the clamp slipping off the rounded surface on the bottom of the barrel (I REFUSE to use the clamp against the stock) than I do 'shimming out' the footpad on the top of the clamp to miss the ramps (popsicle sticks work GREAT).

Even so, the job only takes me a couple of minutes at worst.

I've always just used my hands. In fact the Germans had to start reusing the pins as the leaf would slide out unintentionally. If they are really stubborn a small screwdriver or punch used to push down on the spring will allow the leaf to slide most of the way in.
Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't use your hands. I have also been able to do it this way on some rifles.

This same basic rear sight arrangement gets used on a huge variety of rifles, all the way up to the AK74, and the specific dimensions used and the strength of the various different rear sight springs vary quite widely. In my experience, some can be done by hand, and many can't.

I have some grip strength issues with my left hand which date from it being broken a long time back. As a result, I MIGHT need to use a clamp a bit more often than some others.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
If you ever saw my shop, that $2 clamp would get lost or modified for some other use in a matter of just days, and I would need to buy and modify clamps every time I needed to do this.

Fortunately, this is an operation that most people will only need to do a relatively few times with their collections.

I usually have more problem dealing with the clamp slipping off the rounded surface on the bottom of the barrel (I REFUSE to use the clamp against the stock) than I do 'shimming out' the footpad on the top of the clamp to miss the ramps (popsicle sticks work GREAT).

Even so, the job only takes me a couple of minutes at worst.

Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't use your hands. I have also been able to do it this way on some rifles.

This same basic rear sight arrangement gets used on a huge variety of rifles, all the way up to the AK74, and the specific dimensions used and the strength of the various different rear sight springs vary quite widely. In my experience, some can be done by hand, and many can't.

I have some grip strength issues with my left hand which date from it being broken a long time back. As a result, I MIGHT need to use a clamp a bit more often than some others.
I understand. But it seems like you would be fighting against the force of the clamp to slide the leaf when you could just push on the spring not the leaf. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the c clamp method.

·
Gold Bullet Member
4,581 Posts
Milsurp bare hands! That's a shore. I have changed the AK rear and that was not so bad but 98 spring tension is very high. Clamps sure will help.

Tmann-- I like the wood shim. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FINAL UPDATE ON THE SITUATION!

Hey guys, I want to thank you for your suggestions. My C-clamp was bit too thick to get the spring down and allow space for the leaf to slide in. However, with the help of another person I was able to get the leaf in place on the rifle.

While the other person put electrical tape on the end of a metal punch and used downward force and arm pressure to push the spring all the way down, I slid the leaf in place on the sight ramp and gently tapped it in with a rubber hammer. This method only took a matter of second and was way easier than trying to use the unmodified clamp

Thanks again!

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
FINAL UPDATE ON THE SITUATION!

Hey guys, I want to thank you for your suggestions. My C-clamp was bit too thick to get the spring down and allow space for the leaf to slide in. However, with the help of another person I was able to get the leaf in place on the rifle.

While the other person put electrical tape on the end of a metal punch and used downward force and arm pressure to push the spring all the way down, I slid the leaf in place on the sight ramp and gently tapped it in with a rubber hammer. This method only took a matter of second and was way easier than trying to use the unmodified clamp

Thanks again!
There ya go. Push down on the spring not the leaf. With a decent vise it is an easy one person job.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.