Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I took a friend of mine to the range for the first time. Halfway through his second clip, my Bulgie fired 2 rounds on 1 trigger pull. I've put about 500 rounds through this one, and that's the first time anything like that has happened. I checked the sear and disconnecter, but I don't really know what to look for. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Yesterday, I took a friend of mine to the range for the first time. Halfway through his second clip, my Bulgie fired 2 rounds on 1 trigger pull. I've put about 500 rounds through this one, and that's the first time anything like that has happened. I checked the sear and disconnecter, but I don't really know what to look for. Any ideas?
I had this happen to me once. There's a couple things could cause it.

First, make sure the firing pin is CLEAN as a whistle. No residual cosmoline should be in the channel. Only a single drop of light oil is necessary here. You want to be able to hear the firing pin rattle when you shake (the unloaded) gun.

If that doesn't fix it, I'd swap out the sear and spring. This is what fixed mine. But try the firing pin channel first, its cheaper to clean it than to start replacing parts.

Let us lnow what happens!

Mike

·
Registered
481 Posts
At the risk of being an alarmist, this appears to match pretty closely the fact pattern of the recent case of one David Olofson. He was sentenced last month by a Federal court in Wisconsin to 2.5 years in prison for loaning (thus "transferring") a semi-automatic weapon to someone else at a range, who experienced a multiple-shot malfunction (apparently due to the hammer following as the bolt closed.)

Olofson was charged with, and convicted of, unlawful transfer of an automatic weapon. The judge ruled that the law makes no distinction between guns which are designed to fire multiple shots with one pull of the trigger and guns which do so by reason of a malfunction (which everyone associated with the case apparently agrees this was - a malfunction.) There are reports that the ATF had to go through several different brands of ammunition before they found one batch with primers soft enough to repeat the malfunction, but once they found that ammo they filed charges.

This is your government at work. It would appear that it may no longer be safe to discuss multiple shot malfunctions on public forums if the ATF should decide to use the internet as a fertile source for criminal prosecutions when they decide they need a boost in their conviction numbers.

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
6,312 Posts
Most likely (9:1 odds) it was a bump fire. And that may have felt like a single trigger pull, but in fact it was two, as the trigger resets but recoil causes you to feel as if you have not pulled the trigger. So all you JBTs out there can relax again.

SlimTim

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I have a buddy, no matter what he shoots, he screws them up (no reference to you, ookoshi). Could be simply a limp wrist....bad hold.
If it keeps happening....get it checked. ONCE isn't enough to really care.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I should clarify. My doubles were happening everytime I shot one particular Makarov. It never happenend on any other gun. It happened with every brand of ammo I shot in that particular Bulgie milsurp Makarov. It happened with every different mag I tried.

I came to the conclusion that after about 5k rounds, the sear was worn out, which caused the malfunction. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
it is OK to be concerned about double fires-I had one makarov doing this after about 5k rds and it escalated rapidly to 4 or 5 rds ; which is not safe,although it felt cool.The hammer and sear/searspring should be replaced at the same time.I have seen this happen on several Makarovs.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yesterday, I took a friend of mine to the range for the first time. Halfway through his second clip, my Bulgie fired 2 rounds on 1 trigger pull.
I had one Makarov that did this several times. I replaced the hammer, sear, main spring, etc. At the risk of sounding like a dummy, somehow I felt the problem was solved when I replaced the Thai wood grip I bought on GB with another grip. I wondered if that grip could have been squeezing something.

BTW, in the Concealed Weapon License class, they emphasized that the thing that holds the cartridges was a magazine not a clip.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
BTW, in the Concealed Weapon License class, they emphasized that the thing that holds the cartridges was a magazine not a clip.
In the Kentucky concealed weapons class, it's actually on the test! If you call it a clip- WRONG!

A clip goes into a magazine- such as with an M1 Garand. With an SKS, a (stripper) clip charges the magazine.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The only time I've had a double fire was when trying to demonstrate proper trigger squeeze with one particular daughter on a CZ-82 by squeezing her finger while it was on the trigger. We were definitely getting a bump fire, but I couldn't figure out how she was doing it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.