Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This rifle is like new, only being fired once about 15 years ago. It is extremely accurate at 600 yards.
Looking for advice on its worth because I am going to put it up for auction soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
909 Posts
Looks like maybe the stock has been refinished and the bolt polished?
Value is regional, here in Canada they go for around $495 CDN, approx $395 US, but I think value is higher in the States.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
By coincidence, I saw one recently in a local shop. I think it was $800. I am pretty sure it was gone on my last visit. These days anything is selling fast and for a good price. I though these were considered a special gun. And the one I saw was fairly priced?

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,976 Posts
$700-800.
The good is it's from the first batch of approximately 10,000 m/94 receivers that were converted to CG63s by Carl Gustafs between 1964-65 and the Elit diopter is the collectors favorite IMHO. The right side of the stock has a little provenance with the two competition stickers.

The bad would be if the stock had been noticeable jacked with or the bore didn't shine like a new quarter.

Personally I think it's a nice example from what I can see but it's obsolete and they haven't been used for competition for years. This makes it an interesting but somewhat heavy plinker. It would appeal to a rather narrow group of shooters. I sold mine two years ago in favor of my FSR m/96s.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, the rifle is like new. Mint bore, no wear or scratches on metal. Very few light blemishes on wood. The wood is had rubbed with a wood conditioner consisting of a mixture of beeswax
$700-800.
The good is it's from the first batch of approximately 10,000 m/94 receivers that were converted to CG63s by Carl Gustafs between 1964-65 and the Elit diopter is the collectors favorite IMHO. The right side of the stock has a little provenance with the two competition stickers.

The bad would be if the stock had been noticeable jacked with or the bore didn't shine like a new quarter.

Personally I think it's a nice example from what I can see but it's obsolete and they haven't been used for competition for years. This makes it an interesting but somewhat heavy plinker. It would appeal to a rather narrow group of shooters. I sold mine two years ago in favor of my FSR m/96s.
$700-800.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,976 Posts
Thank you, the rifle is like new. Mint bore, no wear or scratches on metal. Very few light blemishes on wood. The wood is had rubbed with a wood conditioner consisting of a mixture of beeswax
Great, the right collector might even go north of $800. One thing, I doubt these ever lose value. Simpson's, an importer, has these for sale at times often pretty cheap and they don't last long. Put it on Gunbroker and give it a whirl. Just don't start it at $800. I think things started reasonably cheap get the most attention and with some luck two prospective buyers get into a last minute bidding war. 🙂

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
More pictures and info about the CG 63. The 1915 m/94 receiver is one of the few 4,474 m/94 receivers produced in 1915.
I was fortunate to get this rifle from a Texan friend , who previously visited Dana Jones, the author of "Crown Jewel' and purchased the rifle from Dana Jones. My favorite " plinking" is shooting open sight at 1000 yard plates with CG 63/80's, m/96's, and Finn Mosin 28/30's. The target is a tiny white spot and it is a kick to hear a round hit.

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,976 Posts
More pictures and info about the CG 63. The 1915 m/94 receiver is one of the few 4,474 m/94 receivers produced in 1915.
I was fortunate to get this rifle from a Texan friend , who previously visited Dana Jones, the author of "Crown Jewel' and purchased the rifle from Dana Jones. My favorite " plinking" is shooting open sight at 1000 yard plates with CG 63/80's, m/96's, and Finn Mosin 28/30's. The target is a tiny white spot and it is a kick to hear a round hit.
1000 yards??? That m41/B territory for me though it might take me a few minutes to find the target. I've shot at 800 yards with it and the delayed sound of bullet to steel is music to my ears.

Reactions: DK PHILLIPS

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rifle is all new parts , not re-blued parts. Very accurate. A few more pictures.
Handwriting Font Writing Rectangle Paper product
Blue Bicycle part Cylinder Gas Electric blue
Cylinder Gadget Electric blue Metal Font
Musical instrument Tool Nickel Wood Metal
Wood Strap Handgun holster Font Household hardware
Leg Human body Gesture Wood Sculpture
Wood Wood stain Rectangle Hardwood Varnish

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,976 Posts
Looks legit to me.👍 Nice FSR sling.

What ya' doin' all they way up in the righthand corner of your target?🥴

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When testing loads, arn't groups the way to develop loads?
After choosing a load, then adjust the sights to shoot for the x ring?
Only shot this rifle once in 2007, testing several different bullets.
All the loads shot small groups.
The back sight would require a shim to shoot 1000 yards.
There is another CG 63, and CG 80's with shims , and no need to mess with the Dana Jones CG 63.
Never looked at the rifle closely until now, and discovering its like new condition is surprising.
Thought it had been shot quite a lot, but it appears not to be the case.
Not a collector, but shoudn't this rifle be highly desirable and worth a substantial premium?

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,976 Posts
Not a collector, but shoudn't this rifle be highly desirable and worth a substantial premium?
Dana Jones is pretty well known around here but the average Joe might not know him. I bought my m41/B from an extremely well known Mauser collector and author. Paid the going rate at the time.

Put it on Gunbroker and find out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts