Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find the usual primers I use. CCI Large rife and CCI BR Large Rifle. Anyone know where they are still for sale. Are all primers of same quality? Federal, Remmington, CCI. tnx Maq

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I bought a 1000 pack (10 packs) of CCI 200 large rifles a couple days ago, my dealer had a shelf full of them. so some places still have them in stock.maybe I should stock up?.Long as we're on the subject of primers, whats the best/easiest way to get dirty primer pockets clean for reloading?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I just use a stiff bristled brush and brush the gunk out of the pockets as much as possible.

I tend to stick with CCI because of their (generally) heavier construction, but they are usually in-stock in my favorite shops.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,960 Posts
I use the CCI's as well. To clean / uniform the primer pocket I use te RCBS case prep station.

·
Gold Bullet member
549 Posts
I use the CCI's as well. To clean / uniform the primer pocket I use te RCBS case prep station.

This RCBS product is great !!! A really big time saver :)

regards....roger

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,960 Posts
On the lack of primers. The US military is using millions of rounds.. not in combat, but for predeployment training. We have even gone overseas for production 5.56 rounds. As a result, Cabelas, Mid South, Midway, Brownells and others are sold out with no supplies seen in the near future. If you can, pick up what you can, when you can from your local supppliers.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Actually, midway has got some i believe, just really hard to find on their site. The other day I put some bullets in my cart and it suggested I get some CCI primers as well. I clicked the link and it said in stock. The wierd part is that you can't browse to the primers section of the site, it only lists muzzleloading primers...

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,960 Posts
Call customer service. They will tell you. Lucky for me I just found 2000 LR and 1000 SR at my local shop, but even they are not getting new shipments and have been told by Remington, Winchester, CCI not to expect any for some time.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have been reloading for 35+ years. I have tried all of the primers out there for rifles and pistols. They all work fine for me, I just pick up the cheatest I can find at the gunshows. I live in Illinois and have not seen a shortage of primers here.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
primers still gone

I just left "Sportsman's Warehouse here in New Mexico. Very large sporting goods and gun store. One box of 100 fed lg rifle primers, no cci remmington, or winchester. No large boxes either. I found some and ordered from small internet store in vermont, but had to pay 20.00 hazmat. Maq

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Guess I better make the drive to the shop and buy all I can tomorrow, Im down to about 1200 and its gonna be a long winter.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,960 Posts
Powder Valley's circular just came out yesterday and they are already selling out. They have CCI #34 and #41. #200, #400, #450's and BR's are sold out. They still have some Remington, Winchester an Wolf primers in SR and LR. But you do get hit with the Hazmat fee

·
Registered
583 Posts
only in reloading shotgun shells have i worried bout brand of primers. course mag vs. reg primers raise the pressure some but not 'nough for worry. been reloading since 1974. also don't use max loads; these will probably be primer sensistive as to pressure. get what you can when you can. remember the klinton primer scare of the mid 90's?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Primers

I have used all the primers on the market. The most reliable and easiest to use are the Winchester WLR. I use these primers on all my loads. They are dependable.
pj308

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,960 Posts
But it is important to note that primers do vary from company to company. You shoudl always decrease the load when going to a new primer and work your way back up.

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,191 Posts
Primers are coming back on line

I stopped by my local gun store to see for myself if primers had gone the way of the dodo. Apparently only temporarily. They were starting to get Federals in, but were still seeing no Winchesters. I prefer CCI, and they had not yet got any in. I checked Midway's site, and CCI 500s were in stock as we speak...so capitalism rocks. The void is being filled.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just went to the Sportsman's Warehouse yesterday afternoon to pick up another 8 pounder of H4895, and they had Winchester and Federal primers of all styles and sizes. But to be fair, the last few times I was there, all you could find was magnum pistol primers by the 1000, and small rifle by the 100. Being from Minnesota, I always used Federal primers, but in their long absence over the past year or so, I've been using CCI for rifle, and Magtech for pistol.

·
Registered
120 Posts
primers

Graf & Sons had 5000 CCI M-34 Milspec primers for $62.99 last Wednesday. They had 50 cases of 5000 at this price. $20.00 hazmat fee and $5.95 handling charge with free shipping. FEDEX delivered mine yesterday.

I found Winchester large pistol and large rifle primers for $20 per 1000 at a gun range a couple of miles from me, but generally CCI and WIN primers are selling for $29 or more per 1000 here........when you can find them at all.

My supply is back up to 10,000 primers, but I'll need to pick up another 5000 before I begin to feel comfortable with my stash. Especially with another Clinton posturing to make the lives of gun owners and shooters miserable........again.........Mike

1 - 20 of 24 Posts