Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
6,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hearing price increases are "on the way" for the better part of a year now. Noticed tonight that Centerfire went up a Jackson and a Hamilton on a case of 7.62x39, Appears AIM went up a bit too, but not as much.

What's the take on this? Temporary reaction to the events of 11/6/12, or more permanent in nature? Sound reasoning please, and not unsubstantiated speculation. I can do that very well on my own. :p

SlimTim

·
45,384 Posts
Due to the election results the hoarders will start in and drive prices up.

We can be our own worst enemies.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Could be more permanent with anticipated inflation and higher prices for restocking/taxes/wages /healthcare or just plain anticipated availability down the road . with demand and sales up appears to be a logical decision.When I was in retail we raised our prices when federal workers were due for a raise....right now they are frozen until march.could get really interesting after that ;particularly in food and other commods; let alone our stuff.:)haven't checked Baltic shipping rates in awhile but there are members who can post on this.I.m pretty flush but always feel bad for newer shooters starting up during a panic or prepanic sitch.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Mostly commodity inflation and some surplus ammo is simply drying up. I hear that now milsurp 5.45x39 prices will increase and supplies are drying up - in fact Wideners stated that in their latest email as well. Plenty of 7.62x54R left apparently but ammo prices are rising most everywhere. popular calibre supplies appear to be getting tight (maybe the election as well). Gotta admit that our hobby/sport has become exceptionally popular over the last few years and shows no sign of letting up either. Strong demand for diminishing supply means higher prices.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Just election fears. Wait a few months for demand to drop off like last time. To anyone who is buying insane amounts right now, that just serves to make the increased prices permanent. They will continue to rise until the community as a whole says we won't buy at that price.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Got this email from a distributor out east:

"Due to the results of the recent election, orders for ammunition and related products have increased exponentially. This has resulted in majority of our products advertised on our previous sales flyer email to be sold out. Unfortunately due to supply and demand has our suppliers and importers have increased their price to us and this is completely out of our control. Due to this and our increasing backlog, sale prices will revert back to normal price as inventory begins to return to stock.

We apologize for any inconveniences and encourage you to check our website on a regular basis to check what items are back in stock."

I noticed CFS hiked the price on x39 right away.

·
Gold Bullet Member
4,531 Posts
Agree the election result 99% and possible internet Ammo ban and strong demand for supply means increase in prices.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Lee Precession Reloading is so busy filling orders that they can not make custom orders till spring.
Local store wanted $189 for a 440 case of 7.62x54r, I passed.

·
Registered
16,965 Posts
If one can afford to put some ammo aside, its in his/her interest to do so. Ammo is not going to remain at current prices. Now, you can debate that but since 2000 to 2012, 762x54R went from 45 to 90 dollars per 440 rd spam can. Buying ahead of my consumption rate of this ammo has allowed me to stock up a nice stash of it and hedge against supply shortages and uncertainty of supply in the future.

Those who are in denial that buying ammo now is money well spent are failing to read the economy and the political leadership situation in the nation today. Not saying to panic buy but to take advantage of supply and prices today so you aren't wishing you had done so in a year from now or so.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Milsurp ammo like 54r is finite in supply, and the price will increase as supply decreases.

New production 7.62x39, OTOH, rose and fell in price over the past four years. From $250/k down to 180. Now it's back up again. I prefer to buy ammo when it's on the downswing.

·
Super Moderator
6,155 Posts
The answer is to buy as much as you can whenever you can. Cost averaging.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,356 Posts
I paid $205 with taxes for 500 rounds of Federal XM193 at show on Sunday. I saw no crazy prices at the ammo stall but that may change if the wholesale prices go up. I won't buy if I think there is gouging and so far I have been right every time on surplus ammo and guns. The prices on new ammo like WWB 9mm went up a few years back due to commodity prices and have not really come down that much. Thta sort of thing you just have to suck up.

Give it a few weeks/months, it will settle down again.

·
Gold Bullet Member
4,531 Posts
Today at Glendale Gun Show 45acp 500 round is selling for 189. Last year same outfit price was reloads for 149.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Went to my shop last week, they had sold out of 7.62x51. Surplus 5.56 Wolf 7.62x39 hadn't changed much.
On a related note, I went looking for ammo cans yesterday. Granted the bulk of the guys business is selling camo and airsoft stuff to the yuppies, but 12 bucks for a .30 cal. can? For real? Did I miss something?

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
58,449 Posts
I noticed the Tula .223 500rd is back in stock at some online stores was at 99 up to 160 now.
I guess I was lucky then when, 3 weeks ago, I purchased 2000 rounds at $4.10 a box of 20 plus $19/ 1000 rounds shipping.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
58,449 Posts
Actually I am waiting for January to see what the shot show prices are. That will give a guide for the rest of the year.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts