3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Torch 
#1 ·
Hey guys I need a quick price check.

1916 S/A
All matching
Non-import
Has the Imperial Eagle with XX under it on the right side of the frame
Bore is what I'd call good+ with one or two minor pits but shoots fantastic
Blue is almost brown from age but has splotches of nice blue.
All parts are Tula marked.

The pistol was owned by an old WW2 Soviet veteran that I had the pleasure of knowing. He passed away recently and I'm going to make an offer on the Nagant when I get home. His granddaughter is holding it for me until I'm home from business...so what should I offer?:confused:

#2 · (Edited)
Candyman, it's a tough call. It sounds like a really desireable piece in pretty good shape. I'll give you a rather large range: $300-$600. They've sold for less.....and they've sold for more. If there is a large amount of fire blue still on the trigger, hammer & a couple of other small parts, that really helps the value. If there are any parts marked with the post 1928 Tula star, an early rebuild is indicated & that does not help the value. If it's less than 50% nice blue, definitely toward the low end of the range. Hope you get it & hope you show it to us.

#3 · (Edited)
To be equitable to both parties involved, I'd say $300 should be a price you both could live with.....I'm assuming that it's a single action by your S/A...
The value of the pistol is the fact that it is in original condition, it's an Imperial pistol, it's a single action and you know where it came from. Being a non-import isn't an issue with me, because most of what we can get our hands on now-a-days are imported. If the $300 doesn't sit well with the Granddaughter, ask her what she has in mind...
You are in a difficult position if she hasn't made the price for you, because of being in a position of insulting her intelligence or embarrassing yourself. I'd first ask her what she price she is expecting. I'd go prepared with some pricing data if you and her are way off in pricing difference. I'd have a lot of listings from GunBroker and also a Shotgun news where they are shown at $75-$90. Then explain to her why her Grandfather's is more only because it isn't rearsenaled and it's an S/A. You can show what S/A's sell for from an InterOrdnance ad....

These are just some suggestions....good luck.

#4 ·
All parts are hammer marked, no stars, and yes its single action only. I will try to have a friend send me some pictures of it or post them here for you soon.

I spoke with her today about what she wants for it and good news....

She realized that I am the one that took her grandfather shooting Mosins, showed him that people like us on here are interested in her grandfather's story and basically made an old man happy. Sooooo she said he would have wanted me to have it and she's giving it to me.

#7 ·
I think that you are a two time winner, then. You got to know the old gentleman, and received a collectible that meant something to him. I would still look for someway to "repay" the grandaughter, even if it is a nice thank you note in which you related some of the gentleman's stories. I am always surprised to find children/grandchildren who never ask the right questions until after it is too late.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.