Gunboards Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
And how about that tag on mattresses warning against removal. Another serious issue.

yeah, those tags can't be removed except by owner of the mattress.

the gov't has dim view of anybody stealing gov't property..........and a real frown look when it's a soldier, sailor etc... stealing a weapon.

end result if caught is a courts martial and a stint at Ft. Leavenworth, and not in a unit but the military prison

·
Registered
93 Posts

the gov't has dim view of anybody stealing gov't property..........and a real frown look when it's a soldier, sailor etc... stealing a weapon.

end result if caught is a courts martial and a stint at Ft. Leavenworth, and not in a unit but the military prison
There must be plenty of WWII-era examples of GIs being disciplined for theft then, wouldn't you say? Despite having pretty good research abilities, I've never seen one - with the exception of COL Jack Durant in the ETO Hesse Crown Jewels case during the occupation where he mailed home his M1911. But that one doesn't really count since its discovery occurred incidental to the broader investigation into the jewel theft ring.

If you could kindly post an example or two of WWII GIs being prosecuted, we could contrast it against the comments of cplnorton, who has spent hundreds of hours at College Park (back when they were still in bidness) and came to the opposite conclusion. Steve can speak for himself, but perhaps he wouldn't mind me excerpting from a recent comment he made on the subject that I thought was particularly well said:

On the flip side a lot also simply walked out. I have thousands of serials of stolen weapons in WWII and a lot that were even stolen during peacetime. Sometimes whole crates of pistols or rifles would disappear. They barely investigated them and just wrote them off. I know i have one investigation where they cleaned out a whole Marine reserve unit. Like 60 Garands, several BARS, and dozens of pistols. They barely looked into it and logged the serials and wrote it off. Even with them stealing NFA weapons.

No mattresses were harmed during the making of this comment.;)

·
Gold Bullet member
1,380 Posts
89vision. Take all of the metal off the NPM and use a "Citrus (sp?)" finish stripper to remove the "Bubba finish" then stain, if necessary. Follow this stripping with a coating of either boiled or un-boiled linseed oil. Depending on how you think the finish compares to an original stock finish. You can follow up, or not, with a coat of no gloss or low gloss Tung oil to seal the wood grain some what. It will look much more like the original finish the carbine came with when it left NPM !

Chuck.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
T
If you could kindly post an example or two of WWII GIs being prosecuted, we could contrast it against the comments of cplnorton, who has spent hundreds of hours at College Park (back when they were still in bidness) and came to the opposite conclusion. Steve can speak for himself, but perhaps he wouldn't mind me excerpting from a recent comment he made on the subject that I thought was particularly well said:
well you got me there, I can't compete from some slack jaw cletus who frequency the CMP forum and can make up anything about himself he likes to portray himself as something he's not. so you won :laugh:

·
Silver Bullet member
15,556 Posts
At this point in time, it does not matter if the carbine, garand or other was "stolen" or not- it is totally irrelevant.

EXCEPT,
those that were "stole early" may be in original as mfg. configuration! :)

·
Gold Bullet member
13,459 Posts
cplnorton/Steve is a very serious hard working researcher with hundreds of hours, maybe thousands, in the archives. He has contributed much with his hard work. Thanks Steve.,

·
Registered
93 Posts
well you got me there, I can't compete from some slack jaw cletus who frequency the CMP forum and can make up anything about himself he likes to portray himself as something he's not. so you won :laugh:
No one can compete without evidence. While you were dodging my sincere question, were you busily scurrying through your files to come up with something to support your claim? Anything?

If not, then maybe it would be worth considering differentiating wild guesses from fact.

And Steve is a true gem. I have disagreed with him on occasion, but his work is genuine and he's always up for honest debate. He has much more patience than I do with folks who "just say stuff."

He's a member here. If you're interested in trying to figure out what really happened, why don't you PM him and repeat what you said above? Maybe you can straighten him out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
What was the asking price for this carbine?
It would be a trade actually. Straight across the board trade for my Sig 220 Legion. In real America it seems like a fair trade, but we're both in California, so the Legion is hard to obtain and commands an inflated value.

·
Moderator/Silver Bullet Member
17,263 Posts
Had the stock not been compromised on the carbine, that would have been a fair trade. If you can get his carbine and a couple hundred for stock money, you can still make a decent deal.

Or, if the carbine is desirable and the Sig is not, is it worth it to you? Can you get a better carbine for the trade? Keep us informed!

·
Gold Bullet member
1,380 Posts
Strip off the Gloss, replace it with a GI finish !!! That carbine is still worth the Sig.

Chuck.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
there is no such thing as a "bring back" when it came to US troops bringing back US weapon, it's what is called stolen US Gov't property.

regardless, buy the gun not the story and don't pay more because it has a story to go with it. CMP sold carbines back in the day for something like 30 bucks, so don't discount it could be one of those.....and the owner "prettied" it up, refinish stock etc...
Sorry to disappoint you BUT there are legit bring backs from WW2. Officers were allowed to purchase their weapons if their commanding officers said it was OK. A number of officers on ships were allowed to purchase them.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
When my Uncle (1st Lt) left Korea he had his issue 1911 with him ( they kept the ammo) and upon mustering out was offered the opportunity to purchase the weapon. My Uncle in all his wisdom did not wish to give the Gov twelve bucks for the pistol and turned it in, he was amazed when I told him the 1911 would be worth several thousand today.
sorry Mr. SFC but you are less than correct in your statement.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
When my Uncle (1st Lt) left Korea he had his issue 1911 with him ( they kept the ammo) and upon mustering out was offered the opportunity to purchase the weapon. My Uncle in all his wisdom did not wish to give the Gov twelve bucks for the pistol and turned it in, he was amazed when I told him the 1911 would be worth several thousand today.
sorry Mr. SFC but you are less than correct in your statement.
I knew that General officers, Colonels could purchase their sidearms, but didn't think it came down to lowly lieutenants or even to enlisted

·
Registered
93 Posts
Oh please, would you guys just knock it off. This crap is just not necessary.
But making bogus claims and insulting a member recognized for significant contributions was OK with you. No hurt feelings then?

I've got an idea: how about a discussion on the merits of a claim, a discussion based in fact, where those making assertions engage in a good faith effort to respond to legitimate questions instead of running away? Hope that's not too rough.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.