Gunboards Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings gents, I have a chance to get a very nice carbine, but would like to get the experts opinions first. The seller purchased it from a widow, whose husband served in WWII. The claim is that it was brought back by the vet in the condition it was issued him, save for field upgraded adjustable sight and firing pin.

Does this have all the markings of a bring back? What's is it worth in today's market? Thank you all in advance and expertise.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
It looks like the stock has been refinished

·
Moderator/Silver Bullet Member
17,263 Posts
Yes. Too bad about the stock finish. It is still high wood.

An NPM stock will have the following subcontractor marks in the sling well.

I suspect that the right side maker marks are all gone from the sanding and multiple layers of shiny finish.

Some guns did receive the rear sight upgrade in the field. Not sure if that was one of them.

With the (sadly) refinished stock, it is still a $7-800 gun in a non-panic market. Right now, it is probably closer to $1,000.

·
Registered
17,618 Posts
i agree with Martin, for hard core collectors that stock finish is a dead give away and possible knocks 25-50% off its value. But given the current market; Martin evaluation is spot on. Because right now you have m1 carbines being stepped on by Goats for past 30 years being imported and selling for $900+

We are in a panic market currently so its very hard to judge. .

·
Registered
56 Posts
Build sheet shows correct stock marks. If not sanded shine can be minimized. Its a nice npm. Value well north of 1k in this market. Rebuilt, import marked inlands are 900-1k.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Darn...... my own valuation was too high, glad I checked with experts first. Thank you for the advice gents. I'll see if I can get any pics of the side stock cartouche.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Even if the stock cartouche is there the stock still has been refinished, which hurts the value. I bought a Winchester M1 Carbine in March with the same issue. I would say if you could it for $700-$800 you'd be sitting good. From there you coule get a stock set between $150-$250 and you'd have a nice shooter.

Darn...... my own valuation was too high, glad I checked with experts first. Thank you for the advice gents. I'll see if I can get any pics of the side stock cartouche.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Even if the stock cartouche is there the stock still has been refinished, which hurts the value. I bought a Winchester M1 Carbine in March with the same issue. I would say if you could it for $700-$800 you'd be sitting good. From there you coule get a stock set between $150-$250 and you'd have a nice shooter.

Nice thing about opinions, they don’t matter. The market does. If you can get it for $700 it’s a steal. $1000 from a friend would be fair.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Sorry to say but I do have questions on this one for sure. Looking at the date sheet just doesn't quite add up to the production time.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Parts appear to be in really nice condition....Flat bolt, push safety, type 1 barrel band and high wood are correct....Wonder why they thought it needed a field replaced rear sight, unless that was the soldier's choice?...Also too bad wood has been worked on...Bodes

·
Registered
101 Posts
While it's not really a survivor anymore due to the rear sight, shiny stock and possible hammer issue, it looks otherwise unused. I'd suspect that the owner might have swapped the sight himself. I can see it selling for more than what most have stated.

·
Registered
93 Posts
One possibility: records have been located showing rear sight replacement on all or part of the carbines in 15 different ETO divisions in early 1945. Too bad we don't know the vet's unit (though that would only be a start to solving the puzzle).

Would be nice to have a pic of the rear sight stake marks to see if they match the Ordnance method from the MWO.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
there is no such thing as a "bring back" when it came to US troops bringing back US weapon, it's what is called stolen US Gov't property.

regardless, buy the gun not the story and don't pay more because it has a story to go with it. CMP sold carbines back in the day for something like 30 bucks, so don't discount it could be one of those.....and the owner "prettied" it up, refinish stock etc...

·
Registered
101 Posts
There really are bring backs. Documented ones. Not common, though.

It, CMP, was called the DCM back then. The NRA sold Carbines for $17.50 and $2.50 shipping to your door.
What people call bring backs are just as likely to have never left the USA. But Bring back sounds more romantic and historic.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
The Blue Sly carbines imported from South Korea used to be looked down upon and a lot of shooters wanted genuine U.S. military ones. Well the joke was on them as they are genuine U.S. military and were supplied as aid to the South Koreans. Same goes for the Blue Sky M1 Garands also imported from South Korea. What went for $250 for a South Korean M1 Garand Now commands much more than the original selling price. Same for the M1 Carbines. The OP's carbine is very nice except for the stock refinish, that's what hurts the value. I had a buddy who was seriously into mil surps from many countries. Premium examples was what he collected. Since he owned his own gun shop many rifles never went on sale. But straight into his collection. Frank

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
My DCM Carbine from 1964 has a replacement rear sight readable cartouche and correct parts except the hand guard and front sight, must have changed both sights to zero it. As far as I am concerned it is correct as that is the way the Gov released it and I did not change anything, it has served me well for 55 years. I also have a dozen Carbines from CMP including Bravarian Rural Police, Winchester’s low numbers etc.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The Blue Sly carbines imported from South Korea used to be looked down upon and a lot of shooters wanted genuine U.S. military ones. Well the joke was on them as they are genuine U.S. military and were supplied as aid to the South Koreans. Same goes for the Blue Sky M1 Garands also imported from South Korea. What went for $250 for a South Korean M1 Garand Now commands much more than the original selling price. Same for the M1 Carbines. The OP's carbine is very nice except for the stock refinish, that's what hurts the value. I had a buddy who was seriously into mil surps from many countries. Premium examples was what he collected. Since he owned his own gun shop many rifles never went on sale. But straight into his collection. Frank
The desirability of more collectible non-import marked Carbines has driven all values up. The Blue Sky Carbines and Garands are still looked down upon by collectors. The majority got an ugly gray refinish from the importer. When you find one that hasn't been refinished, it's a plus. And then some of the barrels still get swapped for one without the big import marking if the rest of the Carbine is worthy, but if it's staked for an adjustable sight but came with a flip originally that doesn't make as much sense (to swap the barrel).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.