Gunboards Forums banner

Price check on Model 28 S&W

6K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Rod WMG 
Model 28 pricing has been increasing dramatically over the past two years - I would not be suprised if a mint 28 with box, paperwork and tools went for $500 or more. If you bought it in new in '82 it could be a 28-2, still pinned and recessed, which will bring a bit more collector interest, but a NIB 28-3 (the dash 3 was intro. in '82) will still bring a nice price. I am assuming actual mint, no turn line, unopened tool bag, all the paperwork and a nice box.

Tough decision, but you bought it for yourself on your birthday, will it give you more pleasure to shoot it or keep it as a safe queen? As an alternative consider getting a shooter grade HP and putting your mint one in the safe, I still see, though not as often as in previous years, nice 28's that are mechanically fine but may only have 60% - 80% finish left go for $350 or so.

Pinned - means the barrel is pinned in place, look at your 28's frame and you will see a pin through the frame securing the barrel.

Recessed - Counterbored cylinders, i.e. the rim of the cartridge actually fits fliush with the rear of the cylinder face, the rims are surrounded or enclosed by the metal of the cylinder.

S&W introduced the 28-3 in 1982, eliminating the above features as a cost cutting measure, although there are appaerently some transitional 28-2's and 28-3 that share one or the other feature. The Highway Patrolman was discontinued in 1986, as they are not making any more of them and I think you can reasonably expect the value to continue to increase. Will it ever be as valuable or desireable as say a pre-war Registered Magnum - no, but more and more collectors are turning to higher condition 28's, and other less "desireable" classic Smiths as we are priced out of the market for the 27's, pre-27's, .38/44 HD's, etc. I'm probably not helping your dilemma any by being so long winded but you bought it for yourself, its a birthday gun, you should do whatever you want with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.