Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a Mod 99 Savage take down in 303 savage. The condition is excellent, with no scope drilling and blueing approx.90%+.

They are asking $499.00. Good deal or should I pass.

SDL

·
Registered
14 Posts
If it is a Model 99R pre war You looking from $400 (90%) to $525 (95%).

·
Registered
14 Posts
ditto

any other options? checkering? pistol grip? Fancy sights?

If it is plain jane, that is on the high side of "decent" for a TD in 303 (make sure the barrel locks up tight if you want a shooter).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info so far. I was also able to get a bit more info. I found out that this one was made in 1907 ( serial # in the 73,000's) and has a "perch belly" stock, half moon butt plate, checkering and a marbel tang site. However, the number on the foreend was too faint to see if it matches the gun. The lock on the barrel is tight, with no movement. However the lever is a bit loose after the gun is cocked, it has about a half inch of play up and down (a bad spring?). The lever is also blued and not case hardened, which leads me to believe that the gun was redone at some point. In addition, the bore condition on closer examination is a bit worn, but no pitting.

With that being said I wonder if I should move on and look for another one? Or is this one worth the $499.00 asking price?

Thanks

SDL

·
Silver Bullet member
32,367 Posts
There is a panel of experts on www.24hourcampfire.com in the Savage Collector's forum that can help you out more.

I think there is a bit of wiggle room on the price, it gets points for the age and original stock, but loses some on the possible reblue and also possibly non-factory checkering.

If its a takedown model, I would jump all over it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the help. However, I passed on this one. I really had some concerns about the lockup and lever. I usually want shoot what I collect, so I will leave this one for someone else.

SDL

·
Registered
718 Posts
The Marbel sight might have made the rifle a freebee.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts