Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
5,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to go tomorrow night and look at a mak 90 that the owner says in good condition with a little surface rust at the mag well, and has failed to eject a couple of times recently, (don't know why) Thumb hole stock has been refinished, but I wouldn't leave it on there anyway. He said the stock was too blonde for his liking. He states it has less than 500 rounds through it, but at worst that may be 1000. The guy wants $600 for the gun, 5 mags, and 100 rounds of ammo. He started at $650, but I told him over the phone that what he describes brings his asking price down. So we are now at $600 sight unseen. I may get that 25 lower or he may add a couple of mags or a little ammo to sweeten things.

Not being a AK knowledgeable person, I am asking for advice. I checked sales on Gunbroker, and the asking price doesn't seem out of line with what I see there.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Ask him to remove the stock, if it's a straight cut receiver, you're good. If it's a slant cut receiver, deduct a little more $. I'd be most concerned about the FTE's, what type of ammo is/was he using.

If 600$ is too rich for your blood, ask him to keep the mags/ammo and see if he'll deduct an additional 75-ish dollars. Really can't go wrong with a Chinese AK, which is why the malfunctions you mentioned perplex me.

·
Silver Bullet Member
5,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought it for $500 with the 5 mags and 100 rds. of wolf ammo. I asked to take the stock off, and he said ok, so it is a square cut after all. Now I need to get the 922 parts. Where can I get a stock set for reasonable price?

·
SKS GOD OF GUNBOARDS
1,710 Posts
original Chinese wood is available but not cheap. I would give that gun a good cleaning and check the ejector. No reason for a Chinese gun to fail other than severe neglect. Many do not clean their weapons and if using corrosive can doom a good gun.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
You have a few options regarding the stock. An original Chinese buttstock would be nice, but they are expensive and not so easy to find one that matches your existing handguards (color), plus they aren't 922r compliant. Next, you could purchase a US made buttstock (Ironwood), it would count towards 922, but again, matching them to your hg's may be difficult. Third, you could fit a Euro or US polymer stock set to your ChiCom AK, but it takes time and patience/practice because not only are there receiver thickness issues in regards to fitment, the rear tangs are slightly different also. Fourth, you could get a stock adapter that bolts on and allows the use of AR stocks, or a Bonesteel folder. And lastly, you could whittle the thumbhole stock down to where it resembles a regular buttstock.

·
Silver Bullet Member
5,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. Took it out and fired 40 rounds through it. It ran fine and seemed pretty accurate for shooting rocks at 150 yards. I'll just be patient and see what turns up for a stock. The chunk of wood that's on it is totally unacceptable. After reading a great deal about mak 90's in the last couple of days, I am pretty pleased at what I got and the price.

·
Copper Bullet member
2,031 Posts
That's great,you did well indeed on the price IMO.I have one and am thinking of buying an Ironwood stock for mine.That way you have a compliant Chicom AK, those stocks are supposed to fit nice,you can always match the HGs color to the stock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.