Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, folks.

I think I may have lucked out. I bid on a "Soviet 91/30" on an online estate auction. There were only a couple of non-detailed photos, but it was clearly an M91 -- or something similar. There was no mention of markings, just that the rifle was in "fair" condition. Well, it arrived today... and when I pulled it out of the box (along with a VZ24 and a non-refurbed M91/30) I immediately checked the receiver markings. I was hoping for an SA mark... but what I saw immediately made me smile -- no date with the early CG shield. I then went to check the muzzle and along the way I saw the stepped barrel. This made me giggle. There was no SIG marking, but when I took it apart I found the Bohler-Stahl stamp on the underside of the barrel. Wee! I don't have photos yet (hopefully I'll get some this weekend), but I'd say it's in G+ condition -- bore's a little dark, but lots of rifling left, the bolt face is nice and clean, no rust anywhere, has what I'd guess is 60% of the finish (I'm awful with those gradings... if it's not unissued I'm generally wrong with my estimate), the stock has dings/dents like you'd expect, but no cracks, etc.

I didn't have an M24 in the collection yet, so this was a nice surprise. I felt a little bad about paying $275 for it (plus the [email protected]#$%^&*! 15% internet buyer's premium), but I'm feeling much better about it since I unknowingly filled a spot in the collection. But based on my description (photos will help, I know) did I get fleeced?

The VZ24 is nice, too, (matching stock, though it's got a nice sized crack in the butt) and I paid $110 for it. Not too bad. The non-refurbed 91/30 (a 1942 Izhevsk) has seen better days, but for $90 I got more than my money's worth (well worn, but sound). The 91/30 also came with an M39-type cleaning rod, so that was another bonus since I needed one for one of my VKT M39s.

I like pleasant surprises, especially on Mondays. :)

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

·
Registered
328 Posts
Don't think you should feel bad about paying 275 for it. Probably worth $100, or even more than you paid. Times are tough trying to collect this stuff. Just don't see them often anymore.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I think you stole it. Hard to find a M24 for under $350 these days. Congrats on some LUCK!

·
Premium Member
105,713 Posts
That price isn't bad, but if you didn't know that what it was, and thought it was a regular 91/30, you could have been burned pretty bad. Glad it didn't happen that way.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That price isn't bad, but if you didn't know that what it was, and thought it was a regular 91/30, you could have been burned pretty bad. Glad it didn't happen that way.
Yeah, I knew it wasn't a 91/30... it was obviously (to us anyhow) an M91 length. The M24 was a surprise though. :)

Ted, I checked that rod, too... it's the same length as my other M39 rods. It's like I bought three rifles and got a grab bag... and a nice one at that. :)

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,530 Posts
You did great. One just sold on gunbroker in just average condition for $485. It's darn hard to find one for less than $400-$500 these days and that's just the truth of it. Anyone that thinks they are going to find them much less than that anymore is counting on finding an uninformed seller. Great grab. I kind of wonder what my straight barrel would go for if I were willing to let go of it. Of course, then I would just have to find another one so I'll stop thinking about it. ;)

Ya pay's ya money, ya take's ya chances. Got lucky this time.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,427 Posts
Your price was great. The only other M-24 at auction I've heard of recently was mine- a complete cold-blue mess in a polyurethaned stock that was sanded down such that the guy was using zipties to shim the barrel bands.

I got it for ninety bucks, but still, you got the better deal.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,705 Posts
You did well on this. Sure, one can get lucky and do better on a happy and rare occasion,
but I think those deals are getting scarcer, as are these rifles.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I bought mine for $450. (Thanks Bones92) Price range is $400-$550

·
Premium Member
9,938 Posts
With the rate the early Finns keep going up it is hard to really know what one is worth. Stating that I think you did fine - in fact well. Congrats.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
With the rate the early Finns keep going up it is hard to really know what one is worth. Stating that I think you did fine - in fact well. Congrats.

With that, I would say the only fair value is the market. We are an educated (and cheap) lot so we are willing to hunt in dusty corners for these rifles. If one had to run out and replace one quickly you would be paying a pretty penny for one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts