Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from way way up north, was wondering what a MAS49 south of the border would run you? Mechanics are supposed to be good but the wood is beat up. Also wondering if the price is good and the wood is clapped out what are the chances of finding replacement wood for a 49?

Cheers, James

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,387 Posts
I would also like to know what MAS 49's are going for. I have an all-matching Syrian Contract rifle with "used" wood, nice bore.

Serial F 39285

Thanks, ARG

·
Registered
786 Posts
I recently sold my MAS 49 here in New England. It was in excellent condition, had a great bore, and sold for $675 here at the Trader forum. I believe it would have done better at an auction but I decided that I'd prefer to sell to another poster here rather than wrangle with someone unknown. Consider that price as a good, competitive rack price with a comperable rifle going for potentially more in some markets. Reduce your rifle's value by the condition issues but not by too much. The 49 and 44 are both great collectables and while condition will affect the final price, they still hold their value on the market.

Rome

·
Gold Bullet member
4,427 Posts
The range seems to be $600-800 with the average close to $700. I keep seeing a somewhat battered example at gunshows in NY for about $600, but I haven't pounced it for whatever reason. At auction online the really nice ones can bring $700+.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Is there is a price differential between the French and Syrian models? For what it is worth I see the Syrians come to market from time to time but I just do not encounter the French versions at all. Has the market caught up with that little bit of rarity?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Absolutely. There is a marked difference in the prices between the two.

Don't forget that it's pretty well known that less than 300 (porported to be 260) French MAS 49 rifles were imported of the 74,000 made. Otoh, there were only 6000 Syrian contract models made but about half were imported here. It's quite the story, actually. The French MAS49 were made in much larger quantities but only a literal handful get to these shores while the Syrian MAS49 essentially "flooded" the market with an actually rarer model, made well below 10% of the French model. Of course the way to immediately tell is that the French rifle has no bayo. The Syrian one does.

Syrian MAS 49 rifles don't garner as much as the French ones for the reasons above but, in my book, they both rank up there is a fairly elite bunch of low-number main battle rifles, especially you consider the Garand and M1 Carbine were made into the 6 millions. Goes to show, however, that rarity and production numbers don't necessarily conote to value since the average Garand goes for the same as an average MAS 49....even though they threw away more Garands that didn't pass inspection in one day than ever imported MAS 49 French rifles! Go figure.

Rome

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Michael,
+1 on everything Cabinetman said plus I think the biggest source of price delta between French and Syrian MAS 49s is condition. I've never run across a really sharp Syrian, all that I've seen are in good to fair condition. But many of the French 49's (and 44's) were arsenal refurbished and look to have never been re-issued before being exported to the US. Meanwhile, the majority of French 49s I've seen or bought were in VG to excellent condition.
I too have noticed that the prices of MAS 49s have escalated in the last 2-3 years. Some of that is probably due to the general rise of milsurp prices but my belief is that some folk are finally realizing that the MAS 49 series has been undervalued. I also am willing to bet that some of the bump in popularity is coming from new MAS 49/56 owners looking at other members of the MAS family, much in the way that Swiss K31 owners are now more interested in Model 1911 and 96/11 straight pulls.

·
Banned
1,430 Posts
If you're looking for parts moblotaire will help you find your 'bonheur'.

I also value the french models more than the syrians, but the funny thing seems to be that the french models are mostly in unused condition whereas the syrians are often in very used condition.

I have seen a couple examples of the french model sit at 600-700 prices for some time, so while it's a more unique piece, Im not quite sure if the market/price reflects that.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
I have a VG+ Syrian MAS49 that I got for $350 about 3 years back. Externally all numbers match - bayonet, wood, etc. Internally the bolt and receiver cover are mismatched - which I hear is the norm for Syrian rifles. I would'nt sell for less than $450 now. I thought I got a bargain.

Have never run across a French MAS49 for sale. For a matching/Exc I would'nt hesitate spending $650-700.

Not sure how I would adjust for wood needing replacement. If serial# to the rifle - I would try a restoration - or keep as is.

Any pics? If you buy - please post them.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I bought at auction what could be kindly described as "half a French MAS 49". It was missing the buttstock assm., had a bastardized Syrian forestock and a Syrian front band. The bolt carrier was a bit of a mess as well. Moblotaire came to my rescue and now I have a very sweet and proper French MAS 49 with nearly new wood and a rare non-GL front band. I sincerely doubt that I would ever have found the necessary furniture and hardware without his help. Below are "before" and "after" photos. Many thanks again moblotaire!
Cheers,
mawkie

·
Gold Bullet member
1,246 Posts
Hello

Mawkie You lucky guy with your MAS 49 ... I am glad it came so nice now... alas it is impossible to find one in France and importation from USA seems more difficult than sending a man to the moon.

Wish you a happy collecting year.

Moblotaire

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
My question was a somewhat loaded one as I knew the answer in advance. I just wanted to poll the members to see what you are experiencing in the field. I am curious to see the prices on these rifles trending upward. This is particularly curious considering the current economic times we are in. One wonders will this will go when things get better. I have two French contract MAS 49s and two Syrian contract MAS 49s in my collection. I like them all but would certainly like to see them appreciate.

·
Registered
786 Posts
As long as collectors can deal with each other unemcumbered by further regulations they will continue to appreciate. Still, rarity does not connote to value. The Rashid, MAS 49, and other "rare" rifles still haven't broken the $1k mark yet but they may eventually. Compare them to the Garand and Carbine where each was made into the 6million mark and still command price tags higher than a rifle like the 49 where only a literal handful came into this country. There's almost no rhyme or reason to it other than market values. No more MAS rifles will be imported so what's here is here and new collectors rely on us to thin our collections to get their copy. Prices will continue to climb, regardless of the economy, imho.

Rome

·
Registered
38 Posts
Absolutely. There is a marked difference in the prices between the two.

Don't forget that it's pretty well known that less than 300 (porported to be 260) French MAS 49 rifles were imported of the 74,000 made. Otoh, there were only 6000 Syrian contract models made but about half were imported here. It's quite the story, actually. The French MAS49 were made in much larger quantities but only a literal handful get to these shores while the Syrian MAS49 essentially "flooded" the market with an actually rarer model, made well below 10% of the French model. Of course the way to immediately tell is that the French rifle has no bayo. The Syrian one does.

Rome

I just got a copy of Proud Promise for Christmas, so I am not too familiar with the contents of the book yet. But looking in the MAS 49 section it gives the production figure of 20,000 for French rifles and 6000 for Syrian. I don't know whether these figures are right, but certainly both contract types are very rare in comparison to almost any other semi-auto military rifle.

Off GunBroker, I just got a French MAS 49 with accessories & 6 mags for $525 shipped. It looks to be identical in configuration and is in the same minty condition as two 49s I got a decade ago from the AIM Surplus batch. It is very surprising that these don't generate more interest from collectors.

- Peter

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Michael,
The world of French small arms in the US is a funny thing. An off-the-cuff analysis, primarily watching hammer prices at auctions, has me convinced that the market has slowed recently. I'd expect MAS49 prices, in general, to hover in the $500-700 range for a while, maybe even drop a bit depending on how these turbulent times impact the market and money supply. The one French rifle that seemed to buck the trend was the RSC Mle 1917, and they come to market so infrequently that price averaging is difficult if not impossible. It all comes down to supply and demand. While the supply of MAS49s is indeed small so is the demand, esp. when the US small arms market is viewed as a whole. Moblotaire is right, it's a shame that the French and US governments make importing/exporting/ownership of small arms so difficult, otherwise I'm sure many a French veteran would love to own the rifle he carried in service to this country. That would be sure to raise demand and carry prices upward!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Peter, you'll love reading Jean Huon's Proud Promise! I esp. enjoy reading about all the early French semi-autos. I believe that if more American gun collectors knew about French developments in the field they'd drop the stupid "trash talk" about French small arms. Knowledge is a wonderful thing. Thank Santa for the wonderful gift and enjoy it!
BTW, check out the production numbers on the MAS44. Only 6K built and about half of them ended up here in the US. Took me years to find a nice example and have the cash on hand to make the purchase. Proof that finding the gun is only half the battle, you gotta have the coin in hand at the same time! Mine set me back $550 about 2-3 yrs ago and is in outstanding condition, looks new.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Not out of the ordinary for a Syrian 49. Most of the examples I've examined had wood that's been a bit dinged, esp. when compared with many French 49s that have been arsenal rebuilt and have new wood. Unfortunately the unique forearm makes finding replacement wood for a Syrian damned difficult. I can say that while my Syrian isn't the prettiest 49 in the safe it sure is a good shooter!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts