Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw an extremely nice (excellent plus) 1909 Argentine rifle in 7.65 caliber for sale today for $300. Yes, I know that's a good price, except.......the bolt doesn't match. I was so disappointed as everything else matched, even the cleaning rod. This one is still in the white except for the usual blued parts, has a small import stamp on the barrel near the front sight, and is loaded with cosmoline. Almost all of these that I read about on the forums have matching bolt numbers. How much does the unmatched bolt hurt the value? I'm tempted to buy it as I don't own a 1909 but seldom buy any military rifle if the bolt doesn't match. What's your take on this? Thanks for any replies and suggestions.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,597 Posts
If the stock was in excellent condition along with the metal $300 is an awesome price. A matching one in excellent condition will bring $500++ easy
I'm less than convinced. It is my belief that Argy prices have softened somewhat in the last two or three years. At an online auction when I got mine there were three, all of them matching. Granted they were not the minty examples, but none made it above a $275 bid. I got mine for less than that and it tirned out the auction pictures failed to show the tiger stripes. I was very happy.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,123 Posts
Minty, matching 1909 rifles that I've seen in person and online, do all seem to go upwards of $600 or so. On a rifle like this, where the bolt *should* match, the mismatch just kills it for me.
Only thing would be if you just wanted a shooter, then the price is right.

·
Silver Bullet Member
925 Posts
I must have missed when things changed. I picked up my matching 1909 for $400. It's not a museum quality piece but the metal is 95% with a VG+ stock. If I could buy all matching 1909's in this condition for $250 I would buy every one I saw. The action alone is worth that to a gunsmith.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.