Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4,209 Posts
Unless you are trying to preserve original finish or markings, the one pictured has already suffered through the ravages of time and the elements....As stated, it appears stable so a minimal amount of maintenance is all that would be required....You might want to just daub on some cheap motor oil or spray on some WD-40 periodically....This will leave a coat on it and give it a darkened appearance....Bodes
This echos my opinion, but; I will toss out CLP as another low cost easy to apply chemical. Kinda split the difference where oil is a bit thick and WD40 thin and too volatile for my liking. You can buy CLP in gallons now, although I dont use enough for that. I did find Lucas offers a CLP, so; for me that leaves a lot of BreakFree brand to use up.

Normal CLP's are good for a year and BreakFree now has a 5 year formula. If that matters.

I do have a couple big basket ball size cannon balls on my damp cellar floor. No coating at all. They seem like some kind of iron that does not rust like steel in the same environment. Nothing maybe all that is really needed. Or CLP my 2c.

· Registered
4,209 Posts
Lost me at that curve?
I have seen a lot of old tools that were BLO treated. And forged beat traps. Real collector iron that have had much value lost with that old crap coating. it is OK for coating junk that has no value now and never will be worth anything in the future. BLO is not for objects of any merit. There was another treatment with some rust converter that could be painted on. Similar look, more damaging than BLO.

The most difficult thing for many to do it is "LEAVE OLD STUFF ALONE" . Just becasue it is "not a gun" should not open up the floodgates of bubba-restoration options.

· Registered
4,209 Posts
Agreed. BLO is wonderful, good and proper for wood. It was the original finish on many rifles and very nice in that it can be reapplied without running a risk of getting called a refinish or a restoration.

My Belgium Browning shotgun came with a very glossy hard finish that really did not appeal to me. Had they used BLO, I expect, I would have been happy. Eventually, l stripped it off and hand rubber on an oil. Probably killed the resale. Anyone lives long enough, he will regret some improvements made to his guns. Then they call us Bubba :) I guess that makes me a reformed bubba.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts