Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently saw a picture of a 1900 Oberndorf m96 with a serial number of L 463.None of my regular available info sources give me any clue to any prefixes being used.Did I not dig deep enough or is this unusual? This rifle has other oddities, no stock disk,m/m stock number on side butt,unumbered barrel bands and buttplate......curious......?

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
8,598 Posts
That is one of less than 1000 Luxemburg Mausers made at the end of the Swedish mauser contract of 1899/1900 . Basicly it is like a M-96 Swedish mauser . It had a differant bayonet lug & " L " prefix serial numbers . Only a few are known here in the USA .

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think this rifle is available to me, what would an approximate value be for one with a m/m bolt and stock that is one number off? Unthreaded barrel-good to maybe v-good condition ?Thanks for your reply.

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
2,661 Posts
Nobody can answer that question as there aren't enough of them around, anywhere, to put a valuation on.

You seriously need to pay close attention to this rifle. You need to inspect it closely for any alteration, anything cut off, chopped, etc, to detract from the value. You also need to note the condition, though by all rights the condition is secondary in the case of a rifle as scarce as the Lumexborg M1900. I'm going to offer a WAG and suggest you may be able to turn it over for $1,000. This is just a guess. It may be more but I doubt any less. Please keep us posted on this and we'd really like to see some detailed photos.

Dutchman

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like that one goes into " the ones that got away pile!" The seller had it listed as a Swede for $650.00 ......he went to get it to hold for me,could'nt find it ...........sold ? I assume someone knew what it was,and scooped it fast!

I could post a few picts later in the regular Mauser forum if theres some intrest.

·
8,598 Posts
That is a hard luck story !!!! Well , you will know what to look for in the future .

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
2,661 Posts
Very unlikely someone knew what it was. More likely the owner found out what it was and "lost" it so you couldn't buy it. It'll turn up somewhere else. We have the serial number:)

He probably became suspecious when you noted any details about it and you probably mentioned something to the effect that you wanted to find out more?? Some dealers are saavy by their own cunning evil black hearts. The dude snagged it so it wouldn't get sold for less. If this rifle was complete and decent it could bring well over $1,000. The Luxembourg Model 1900 are phantom rifles.

Feel free to post the photos right here in this forum in this thread.

Dutchman

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After I learned what the rifle really was I found some reference,MMRotW lists the caliber as 6.5 X 53mm,having a nosecap like the 1893 Spanish-using the 1895 style bayonet.
C&R Buds lists it as "never seen" valued at $2000+ in excellent condition.
I'm all out of 53mm , so I would'nt have been able to shoot it anyway ;)

·
8,598 Posts
At $650 , the dealer had it way over priced for a Swedish mauser in that condition & mismatched . If you took those photos ( at $650 ) in his gunshop , then you really peaked his interest . When you came back , he knew not to sell it . You cannot show to much interest in something like that or you will give it away . To bad for you .

There have been only one or 2 others mentioned here . I believe DaSwede or Swedeman has one . Also , Noel Schott has " L 205 " , as shown in his book " Handbook of Military Rifle Marks 1870 - 1950 " .

" Military Rifle & Machine Gun Cartridges " by Jean Huon list the Luxemburg cartridge as 6.5x55 .

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Swede,I was hoping the caliber was 6.5 x 55-it didn't make sense to be somthing else.I didn't get to see the gun at all or talk to the seller about it,other than to ask if he still had it.The seller usually prices his Swedes at a minimum of $400-$550

1 - 10 of 10 Posts