Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon ladies and gents.

I'd like to pick your brains and see what the general consensus is for the all around best or preferred optic for the SKS. I have a dust cover rail, and have seen a few different scopes that may do the trick but figured I would come to you all first for some first hand advice. If I choose to go for a scout mount on the dust cover, what would work best there? Looking forward to your suggestions.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
I would not even consider a dust cover rail to scope a SKS, you want the mount to be attached someplace where it will be stable from one shooting session to the next. a dust rail cover won't do that...........

there is only 2 places where it will be stable, either on the rear sight (scout mount) or attached to the side of the receiver......that will involve drilling and taping the receiver

ACCUMOUNTS - SKS

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Side mount via drilling and tapping the receiver with a PU type scope (Accumounts makes one specifically for the sks). Such a set up will allow you to use both the scope AND the iron sights. However, it does require drilling and tapping your surplus rifle which doesn't sit well with most who inhabit surplus collecting forums.

The scout mounts that can be attached to the rear sight block -- like the Brass Stacker sks mount-- offer a very stable fixed base for red dots or scout set-ups but you also lose the capacity to use the iron sights should the scope lose zero. And, depending on the type (length) of optic you use with the scout set-up, some scout scopes will hinder your ability to use clips for reloading and may also require the addition of a shell deflector. The Brass Stacker will also hamper the ease of disassembly for basic cleaning / maintenance

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
The best optics are the original iron sights.
I would have said that too, thirty maybe forty years ago...........but I have found the older I get, I'm past the 6 decade mark, it's a bit of challenge for me to align the rear sight to the front sight on a SKS, and it doesn't get any easier with each pull of the trigger. and yes I wear glasses :)

I find myself shooting my Chinese "COWBOY COMPANION" with the scope more often then my Soviet SKS :)

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Original iron sights and my right eye. When this system fails me I vow never to bastardize a collectible surplus fire arm. This I swear.

You can do whatever you want since your not bound to my sworn oath, and it’s your property. But know that if you tap that riffle or lose the dust cover I will sneer in your direction since you have made the world a lesser place.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But know that if you tap that riffle or lose the dust cover I will sneer in your direction since you have made the world a lesser place.
As bass-ackward as it is, you’ll be astonished to know that I bought a bubba’d Swedish Mauser AND a bubba’d SKS over the last few years, and since I’ve JUST come to realize what each of these beautiful specimens used to looked like...?

I have recently undertaken the task of restoring them both to a respectable condition. I’ve sold the synthetic stocks and associated parts to somewhat offset cost, and even still while this is in no way shape or form a cost effective venture it’s a fun hobby and I’ve loved and adored learning the proper configuration and history behind each of these rifles, and feel that much more vindicated in my efforts to mostly restore them.

Hell, I even had a couple gents here in the forum donate and trade parts to aid in my cause, and I’m absolutely floored. Every time I look at these rifles I’ll remember those kind folks, and remember the journey that it took to make these rifles into functional art pieces again. :)

I need to find an original Chinese SKS receiver, since the one that bubba installed was an aftermarket railed receiver. Please trust that I’m most interested in no drill or tap mounts, and making the rifle as close to original as possible. :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have one that has an old B-Square mount, and I think the Tech-Sights looks to be a good one, though not an optic.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Lol just looked at the pinned barrel and receiver... Factory code 906, can't remember the serial numbers off the top of my head but I'll check it out after work. Side of the receiver was stamped Norinco ATL GA, so was this bad boy imported or never surplus to begin with?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it was both imported and was a military surplus rifle
Thanks SFC Retired! I appreciate it, that's excellent news, and I'm sorry about earlier. I meant to say that the railed receiver COVER was an aftermarket install. An aftermarket railed SKS receiver does sound like something out of a fantasy novel. :p

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
As bass-ackward as it is, you’ll be astonished to know that I bought a bubba’d Swedish Mauser AND a bubba’d SKS over the last few years, and since I’ve JUST come to realize what each of these beautiful specimens used to looked like...?

I have recently undertaken the task of restoring them both to a respectable condition. I’ve sold the synthetic stocks and associated parts to somewhat offset cost, and even still while this is in no way shape or form a cost effective venture it’s a fun hobby and I’ve loved and adored learning the proper configuration and history behind each of these rifles, and feel that much more vindicated in my efforts to mostly restore them.

Hell, I even had a couple gents here in the forum donate and trade parts to aid in my cause, and I’m absolutely floored. Every time I look at these rifles I’ll remember those kind folks, and remember the journey that it took to make these rifles into functional art pieces again. :)

I need to find an original Chinese SKS receiver, since the one that bubba installed was an aftermarket railed receiver. Please trust that I’m most interested in no drill or tap mounts, and making the rifle as close to original as possible. :)
aduck ---- I have an aftermarket SKS dust cover that I had mounted on one of my SKS Chinese rifles that was tightly secured to the rifle and worked quite well. I had a 1" dia. 4 power scope mounted on the SKS and it shot accurately out to around 150 yds. I never had a wandering zero with the scope on the rifle. Before I went overseas to work for almost 30 years I removed that dust cover with the scope and installed the original dust cover back on the SKS for storage purposes. I still have the cover with the 1" scope rings and I'm thinking of re-mounting it to the SKS and installing a red dot scope on it. If your cover fits tight on the receiver I'd go ahead with the scope mount if I were you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts