·
Gold Bullet member
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Father bought this Mossberg Model 45 AS just before WW2
in Chicago, it came with the scope. Very good to excellent cond
with a exc bore. This was a Spiegel Mossberg with a low production
from information available. There was something added to the pistol
grip but long gone. Really a nice Mossberg rifle and I have shot it.

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
That is one nice Mossberg. The Spiegel models are scarce but out there (mostly in collections). The 2 holes in the pistol grip are from a small plaque the was supplied with the rifle. Most that were installed were as shown but some were put other places on the stock. The plaque would have the owners name and picture of deer or something (it varied). Is that a number 7 scope?

·
Gold Bullet member
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe it is a Mossberg scope and was on the rifle when my Father bought it, the rubber
eye-piece came apart over time. Not certain which model Mossberg scope but is paint
over brass.

·
Registered
207 Posts
That long a scope could be a #6 but as the scope is on a Spiegel I suspect it is a #7.

If you are interested to learn more there are Mossberg forums such as on RFC (RimFireCentral). I am always looking for a #7 and usually just missing.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That long a scope could be a #6 but as the scope is on a Spiegel I suspect it is a #7.
View attachment 3819578

If you are interested to learn more there are Mossberg forums such as on RFC (RimFireCentral). I am always looking for a #7 and usually just missing.
It is a #7 scope, thanks for posting the photo. Interesting is that my Father almost never shot his
Mossberg rifle. I shot it a little when I was younger, the bore is excellent.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Good to know. I have never seen a #7 scope but it is on my wants list along with too many other Mossberg stuff. I just received an early model 46 which has similar stock etc.

It is in very poor shape (and advertised that way). It is now cleaned up some. The picture is before clean up.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I recently acquired a Mossberg 45 AS rifle. Interestingly, it does not have the holes for the plate on the stock and finish appears original. It came with a Weaver B6 scope and aftermarket scope mount that matched the factory receiver holes. Possibly a Weaver, but no markings.

I was curious how your restoration was going. Also, does your rifle have the factory No.3 peep sight still in place? From the picture, I think I see it. Was not sure. Mine is missing or it never had one.

I will post a picture of mine later.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I believe the name plates were given out with the rifle or later. Not all were put on and those that were, were often removed when the firearm was passed on. The holes show where they were removed and not always on the pistol grip.
Am now waiting for the picture. Actually pictures would be better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.