Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help, WEEKS OF looking at records .is it factory?no prefix serial number 8xxx,no cartouche except two small circle with Z on barrel and root of bolt,bottom of reciver behind the recoil lug has a circle with V over 7 IS THIS a per war commercial action ? my best guess,maybe a Czech 1920s made for custom gun makers? I think the stock is not as old?will be looking for claw mount rings/or making them. the trigger is two stage mil type but 3lb and crisp and super smooth just like bolt which has very nice low look and engraved. this is my 2nd post on this I'm a newbee here ,.
ryg thanks for responding hope the photos turn out this time.the last pic is my BRNO 21H next to the mystery 6 1/2 lb BRNO It feels even better wish it was full stock 9.3x62 hay JES CAN DO IT lol or do I leave it alone ?
Bicycle part Wood Gas Machine Auto part

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
hi, and WELCOME to the boards, especially with an interesting first post. that's a very nice rifle you have! i have owned and used a few BRNO sporters over the years, most of them being post-1949 dated.

the Czech mfg sporter rifles all have proofs and dates on the left side of the barrel chamber, and usually on the left side of the recv'r ring as well. this piece does not have those marks. my WAG about this item is that it's a post war, German mfg rifle, that may have been purchased/traded for by a US serviceman. the style and work is very much of that time period. 30-06 caliber became popular in Europe after the war in the 1950 to 1970 time period, and of course if an American service man had a rifle built there, it would be in 30-06 caliber.

the Czech rifle actions and barrels have always been considered to be excellent quality by the German gun trade. it's very common for them to use that stuff to build rifles. i have a couple BRNO ZG47 rifles that were re-marked in Germany and sold there in the 1960s, by the Heym firm.

the rifle may have been built in Czech. but the lack of the Czech style proofs and dates makes that scenario quite slim, imo. if you take the action out of the stock you may find proofs and dates on the underside of the barrel, that will give you more clues. you will have to spend a few bucks to have custom mounts made to fit the claw bases. the fact that the scope is not with the rifle makes the possibility that it may be a wartime bringback, but the caliber really negates that idea. i think it's post war, German built. i suppose you had no comments about the scope from the people where you got the rifle.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for chiming in Frosty. Anyways I did take the action out of the stack and there’s absolutely no proof marks anywhere ???? there is that one suspicious small circle with V over a7 next to the recoil lug ,There were some German made commercial argentine actions with a seven near the lug I recently read about supposedly were for custom commercial action ??anybody know about this.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for chiming in Frosty. Anyways I did take the action out of the stack and there’s absolutely no proof marks anywhere ???? there is that one suspicious small circle with V over a7 next to the recoil lug ,There were some German made commercial argentine actions with a seven near the lug I recently read about supposedly were for custom commercial action ??anybody know about this.
Just say no means go.Why?

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
Nice looking rifles for sure! I'm not the expert to say just what your rife under examination might be. My information not only parallels Frosty, but generally bowing to superior expertise! Here, simply reinforcing and expanding a bit. But starting from post WWII perspective, to say with considerable probability what the one under examination is not. 'Excepting' some very early postwar miscellaneous "parts is parts" editions, early on Brno was in evolutionary development of their own action. All for a number of years in the purely commercial line, small ring mauser patterns. From the first of this genre, in common, small ring actions featuring solid sidewall design. From early vestigial clip bridge "humps" to later modern sporter contours. From 'normal' Model 98 bolts to losing the central feature guide rib. Unnecessary where both solid wall and close tolerances combining to provide a smooth action. 'Quality'! The Models 721 as half stock and 722, full stock; morphed to the same guns cast as 21 and 22, due to Remington model confusion. The ZG47, successors, yet small ring, featuring double square bridge integral dovetail scope mounts. Advanced engineerinrg functionality. Rather conclusively disposing of the "postwar Brno fabrication" likelihood concernin your rifle.

My next comment, one I reiterate many times. Looking at a mauser sporter and evaluating it as a "unit"; meaning a long assumption that the rifle viewed today is the same as departing the factory. By now, more likely than not alterations and frequently in series. Thus, forensic evaluation needing to frankly take a "parts is parts", approach. That, depending on the outcome, perhaps lessening the value of the "package" observed. But also, quite likely era improvements, creating the sporters we view with respect nowadays! Altering/mix & match of components as well as later era replacements. Thus even traditional heavy duty clues such as nomenclature, as misleading when such themselves not original to the rifle, commercial or military which left the factory of origin.

To view your rifle and assess from available photos, my own WAG, engraving mot likely pre great war/ early such postwar. Bolt bolt handle looking more Brit rework to me in the outward turned ball style of handle. I'm frankly not a fan of "claw scope mounts" unless with original scope in working condition. The one as viewed here, the strong mitigating factor of 'likely ring mount removable', at least to my amateur vision and if so, restoration possible along with bridge. I'd not scope this rifle at all. But here, getting well into WAG territory. The centerfold photos of two rifles showing just. Apparent centerfold quality pieces! The classic European stocks, great!

You have a very nice rifle. Likely never subject to answering all questions and to my mind likely the product of several skilled gunsmiths hands over about a century of 'opportunity' for such evolution. I understand "inquiring mind, wishing to know". My retort, be happy with the nice gun it is!

Best & Stay Safe!
John

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
John It was a very interesting response thank you .Kind of figured it was a custom made for an American that never got proofed,I wasn’t aware that was possible in Europe. The action does not look like it was scrubbed finish and dimensions are spot on. Still interested in that circle with V over 7.Behind recoil lug if anybody recognizes it.——— I also have a ribbed 98 Mauser. possibly Guild gun.commercial action with small m near recoil lug This other gun has no make a mark also I’ll try to post it tomorrow.Go bills

1 - 6 of 6 Posts