Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pre 64 (actually 1963) Winchester model 94, it has very few rounds through it but the action seems very tight to me. The bolt on the end of the cocking stroke rides the top of the hammer really heavy. I have looked at all the internals to see if something was out of wack but everything inside appears to be in excellent condition. I have had several other 94's and other lever guns that aren't this tight. My idea for a last resort is to stone the top of the hammer down a few 1000's to try to keep the bolt ride a little lighter. Any thoughts out there?

There can be no triumph without loss.
No victory without suffering.
No freedom without sacrifice.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I've owned a couple of '94's. This may not pertain to your situation, but I think the lever-action is a fairly complex mechanism with numerous lubrication points. With mine, I usually oiled every moving part and kept wiping away for awhile during use. Then, it would gradually start to "stiffen" a bit, and feel dry. Time to repeat. 1895's seem even worse that way. When they get dry, working the action is like uncoupling a train car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah, Iwanna is right. Don't stone it! Completely dismantle the action and lightly polish action with good jewelers rouge or "Shiltz polishing compound. Then clean thoroughly and assemble with good quality gun oil. Also, you may try cleaning/lubing it with "Break Free CLP". This lubrication product works great with my 1896 Winchester 73.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Oh, yes. Break-Free CLP. I just used some on an old 1895 Winchester (1902). I took the stock off and let the action soak a few hours. It actually turned the action into a smooth one. The longer you let it soak the better it works. I blow things out after with canned compressed air.

I've never disassemble an 1894 action. Way to complicated for me to do that, and I've owned a few. The Marlin lever guns are much easier to take apart.

Break-Free CLP will soften deposits, but a Crud-Buster type product will dissolve them and blow them away. Be sure to follow up immediately with a spray lube if you use a "brake-cleaner" type product. Otherwise rust will form very quickly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.