Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
my range won't allow steel cased ammo.
That's just weird. I can (sort of) understand diallowing steel-cored BULLETS, but steel CASES?

WHAT problems do they expect to have from steel cases?

Oh, I know. There is a lot of flint in the stones on the firing line and they are worried about the ejected cases striking a spark, burning the place down.

The objection HAS TO BE just about that ridiculous.

It is either that, or it is like a rule made like one that was made at a gun club I USED TO belong to a while back. The big shot members of this gun club were exclusively duck hunters and trapshooters, and they really didn't give a crap about anything else.

Anyone without a shotgun was a big inconvenience to them, and the rifle range firing points were 'downrange' from the trap house.

They decided to restrict use of the only rifle range on the property (it was a pretty nice 100 yard range with a GREAT backstop, and it was a pretty short drive from town) to the two weeks before deer season "So members could sight in their deer rifles".

Ridiculous! You need to trapshoot all year round to be ready for Duck season, but you can be completely ready for Deer season with virtually NO practice?

I turned in my membership card the day I heard about this restriction. Last time I drove by it, the gun club wasn't there anymore.

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
The range I shoot at doesn't NEED to worry about collecting scrap brass. About the only 'brass' that ever gets left on the ground there are .22 cases. Everybody else pretty much polices up their own brass or someone else is more than happy to do it. It doesn't lay around.

They have something that looks like an old reel-type lawnmower that they use to pick up the steel cases that do get left around. It works GREAT!

Steel cases also have some scrap value, only it is nowhere near what you can get for brass. We have a member who also takes the steel, but he evidently hadn't been there for a while. I took a look in the 'brass box' when I was last there and it was about five inches deep in steel cases. No brass outside of the occasional .22 case that somehow ended up in it.

If that range was worried about keeping the range picked up, they should consider banning BRASS cases.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For what it's worth, I believe that the Herters is aluminum cased. This particular range also does not allow steel jacketed bullets. They claim that it can spark and ignite the range trash.

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
For what it's worth, I believe that the Herters is aluminum cased. This particular range also does not allow steel jacketed bullets. They claim that it can spark and ignite the range trash.
Maybe if it hasn't rained in, say, a month.

Otherwise, a bit far-fetched. Especially when the bullet is going to end up hitting and passing through the bare earth that defines the impact zone on the backstop at just about ANY gun range, and will end up somewhere between several inches to a foot inside the DIRT. Dirt doesn't burn, in my experience.

If you happen to shoot at the City Dump, all bets are off, though.

Also , If you believe what you see on TV, the COPPER-JACKED, LEAD CORE bullets they shoot all over the place also spark if they hit just about ANYTHING (except the bad guy, of course).

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe if it hasn't rained in, say, a month.

Otherwise, a bit far-fetched. Especially when the bullet is going to end up hitting and passing through the bare earth that defines the impact zone on the backstop at just about ANY gun range, and will end up somewhere between several inches to a foot inside the DIRT. Dirt doesn't burn, in my experience.

If you happen to shoot at the City Dump, all bets are off, though.

Also , If you believe what you see on TV, the COPPER-JACKED, LEAD CORE bullets they shoot all over the place also spark if they hit just about ANYTHING (except the bad guy, of course).
Indoor range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.