Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.
I just picked up 4 additional drum magazines for a ppsh-41 I acquired recently (still in NFA jail), thinking between those 4 and the few I have already, I might find a couple that run well in the gun.
When I inspected the 4 new (to me) drums, I noticed they were all of Russian manufacture. 3 look like they were of Zavod make and one Molot. I didn't dig my others out to compare yet, but it got me thinking: Are most ppsh-41 drum mags in the US of Russian make or are most of them from other Communist Bloc countries? Does anyone out there know?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
From my experience and looking at a lot of drums all seen were Russian manufacture.
The Soviets figured out quick the drums were the bottleneck in PPSh production and started making the 35 shot "stick" type mags in 1942 IIRC.
For the cost of a drum you can manufacture many more 35 shot mags. Drums rattle, damage easy and needed to be fitted to each PPSh.
That said I think the Hungarians may have made drums, but I have never seen one.

·
Registered
7,650 Posts
yeah, he Soviets made millions upon million upon millions of these drums......and gave/sold them to any country in their sphere of influence, so there really was no need for other countries that got PPShs to make their own, there might be a few that did, but the vast majority didn't need to........they just called SOV-EX and had it delivered :D

as for the this;

I just picked up 4 additional drum magazines for a ppsh-41 I acquired recently (still in NFA jail), thinking between those 4 and the few I have already, I might find a couple that run well in the gun.
you can adjust (tighten) the spring tension in those drum where they will feed reliable, in any PPSh it goes into .

bought quite a few of them myself and made PPS 43 drums, all of them didn't have the spring tension to feed reliable. once I adjust (tighten) the spring tension they had the "oomph" to feed reliable.

for sure you won't need to adjust the spring tension like I had to in order to feed rounds up a feed tower, you might have to do just one maybe 2 revolutions.

the way you do that

1) remove the follower

2) then grab the spring housing and turn it counter- clockwise (left) one complete revolution (4 clicks) or 2 revolutions (8 clicks) depending of the weakness of the spring

3) reinstall the follower, then load, if it still doesn't feed reliably, add another revolution to the spring

skip to 6:06.......yes, I know it's a SUOMI DRUM, but they are made exactly the same as the PPSh drums........... only difference between the 2 is the caliber it holds

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info SfcRet! A ppsh-41 has been on my bucket list for a loooong time. Over the years I've picked up enough parts to keep it running for longer than I'll be around. I'm looking forward to being able to take it home in a few more months.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.